Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Default "Green light changer" / traffic light magnet

I just won an Ebay auction for one of those magnets you put on the bottom of the bike to trigger the traffic light. Ebay # 180299048723

I should have it by the end of the week and we'll see if it works or if I just pissed away $17.44

There is one light on my way to work that will NOT change when I ride up on the bike. I even tried dragging my side stand as I sit there but no luck.

I also checked with the a PA State Police officer to see if it's legal in PA for a motorcyclist to go straight on a red light after a certain amount of time waiting for a light change. It's not but he "unofficially" said just go across if it's safe

What do you fellow enthusiasts think, will it work or did I waste my money?

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

survey says... YES

everyone I've ever heard from that's gotten one said it didn't make a bit of diffrence.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

i just make sure its safe and go after waiting more than a few minutes. two scenarios.

1. a cop will have no idea what you are talking about because they dont ride, and will more than likely just let you go considering you were trying to be safe.
2. the cop rides and can relate, and lets you go.

usually in heavily trafficed areas its not a problem, cause you'll get cars behind you that can creep up and trigger it, and in the boonies, well, who the hell cares nobody's around.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
survey says... YES

everyone I've ever heard from that's gotten one said it didn't make a bit of diffrence.
Bummer. I even went on the PennDOT website and "reported" the light. I got an email with a case number and actually thought something might happen.

Four working days later I got another email and all the report stated was " problem resolved". No summary or explanation of how they resolved it nor was there any difference in the road surface. I tried accessing the original case number but it said "case closed" and the email address they sent it from wouldn't accept responces.

I still fucking sit there at the red light waiting for four wheeled vehicle to trip the light
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well there isn't much they could do I don't think... cept maybe move the sensor closer to the surface... but it may require a certain depth...

I was told the law in Oregon was 2 signal cycles... I usually wait 1... if it passes my light once... and no traffic is near me... I'm going next chance I get. I'll take the chance of a ticket and plead my case... haven't been pulled over yet for it... though doesn't happen too often
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Those new-fangled bikes with their aluminum frames and engines couldn't trip a light if they tried. Both my bikes have good ol' steel frames. And huge, steel centerstands hanging below the engine. I trip lights 10 feet before I get there.

Seriously, how does the magnet attach to the bike? Do you have a steel or aluminum frame, or does the engine hang from the frame? Here in Colorado, most of the traffic light sensors are close to the surface and have a bead of silicone caulk covering the wires. I stop so my engine is directly over the center wire or at an intersection of wires, and the light will change right away.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
well there isn't much they could do I don't think... cept maybe move the sensor closer to the surface... but it may require a certain depth...

I was told the law in Oregon was 2 signal cycles... I usually wait 1... if it passes my light once... and no traffic is near me... I'm going next chance I get. I'll take the chance of a ticket and plead my case... haven't been pulled over yet for it... though doesn't happen too often
We have a few lights here that wont trigger from a bike. One was at the end of the road I use to live on. I got to the point that I treated it as a stop sign. Only got stopped once and was let go with a warning. I never antied up for any magnets. Not that big an issue for me.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Yay! Something I know something about... I just installed a few of them a couple of weeks ago. Well,they probably increased the sensitivity of the loop. Or they went and checked it and it worked to their standards. I used to carry a speaker magnet in the belly pan of my bike but it was a lot bigger than that crappy little magnet they sell. I've gotten them to trigger just by putting my kickstand down.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

dear god... is it getting cold in here... fuck... I think this place is freezing over... Tigger speak'n in facts...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
dear god... is it getting cold in here... fuck... I think this place is freezing over... Tigger speak'n in facts...
Oh hahahaha gosh you are funny "moonshot"... We've had this argument before. The loops are basically an electromagnet with a sensor that detects changes in the field. Ferrous metal will of course have an effect,as will a large enough outside magnetic field. Man,for a magnet the size of the ones they sell on EBay to have an effect,it would be impossible to transport as it would to to everything metal within 10'.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote