Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #41
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destitute View Post
Hasn't it already died, and the government is giving it a second chance at life? If it wasn't for taxpayer money, GM would already be in bankruptcy.

I didn't realize the government was making product decisions, rather than just financial/organizational ones.
If they had died the American taxpayer would not already be $17+ billion in the hole. If the government is just going to keep these companies on life support with taxpayer money, while setting conditions that make the companies incapable of recovery I wish they would just let them fail now.

The financial/organizational decisions are directly tied to product decisions. The previously mentioned Chrysler/Fiat merger is a prime example. Apparently the administration feels that Fiat will magically be able to make their cars pass American emissions and crash testing while convincing Americans they want to spend $15k+ on a small 3 or 5 door hatchback with a 75 horsepower engine. I'm sure Americans will be happy to go along, even though the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris are similarly sized, have more power, are the same price or less, and have better reliability reputations than Fiat.

If my guess is right though it doesn't really matter. I suspect the Obama administration is trying to drive GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy so they can get rid of their labor contracts. The difficulty is they are trying to do it on the sly, putting all the weight on management. If the administration just came out and said that one of the big problems with Detroit was crippling labor agreements you would see Obama's approval rating drop by 10% or more. Instead, the administration has decided to throw the future of hundreds of thousands of GM and Chrysler employees, as well as their suppliers and those employees in to turmoil in an (I believe futile) attempt to save the approval rating.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #42
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

and just think, if those jobs go overseas, those people couldn't make a decent living at those jobs anyway (according to obama's internet Town Hall meeting anyway).
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #43
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I have been told that every Honda RC51 that was sold, lost Honda money. don't know for sure thats the truth either but the guy has been in the business for a long time.
Not the way my local motorcycle store priced those bitches. It's why those fucks still have 4 in crates.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #44
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Interesting vid posted by Pauldun....I think GM will file for bankruptcy simply because the healthcare and retirement costs need to be curtailed heavily in order to make a profit for any of the vehicles GM sells.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #45
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
If my guess is right though it doesn't really matter. I suspect the Obama administration is trying to drive GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy so they can get rid of their labor contracts. The difficulty is they are trying to do it on the sly, putting all the weight on management. If the administration just came out and said that one of the big problems with Detroit was crippling labor agreements you would see Obama's approval rating drop by 10% or more. Instead, the administration has decided to throw the future of hundreds of thousands of GM and Chrysler employees, as well as their suppliers and those employees in to turmoil in an (I believe futile) attempt to save the approval rating.
This is true of every move in the political world, not what is best for the country as a whole, but how good can our approval ratings be? And you are 100% right.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #46
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

http://www.leftlanenews.com/congress...telfinger.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #47
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Not the way my local motorcycle store priced those bitches. It's why those fucks still have 4 in crates.
guess if they own them they can price them any way they want. thought Honda owned all the Honda's out till they were purchased by a customer.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #48
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I like that, what do you think the odds are though?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #49
zed
yellow don't corner well

slim to none
Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #50
goof2
AMA Supersport

Slim left town.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote