Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default 16 years for DWI Manslaughter...

Usually I'm posting about bullshit sentences or bad police work, so I wanted to post something I really liked. I'm all for punishment of crime that actually hurts people. Don't drink and drive!

Star-Telegram.com
Near-maximum sentence is handed down in fatal Arlington wreck

Posted Thursday, Mar. 25, 2010

By TIM MADIGAN

tmadigan@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH -- An Arlington woman with no criminal history was sentenced Thursday to 16 years in prison for being drunk when she caused a collision in January 2009 that killed a young man.

Jurors also recommended that Erica Kolanowski, 31, spend 10 years in prison for intoxication assault because a passenger in the car was permanently maimed in the crash.

Kolanowski had pleaded guilty to the two charges before testimony began this week in Tarrant County Criminal Court No. 4, but she asked a jury to decide punishment.

After passing sentence, state District Judge Mike Thomas ruled that Kolanowski could serve her two prison terms concurrently. She must serve at least eight years before she's eligible for parole.

Jurors also assessed fines of $6,000 on each charge.

She could have been sentenced to a maximum of 20 years on the intoxication manslaughter charge. Ten years is the maximum for intoxication assault.

Testimony this week showed that at about 11 p.m. Jan. 11, 2009, Kolanowski's SUV hurtled down Green Oaks Boulevard in Arlington at more than 70 mph, ran a red light and broadsided a small car driven by Matthew Lundy, which had pulled into a busy intersection on a green light.

Lundy's passenger, Joshua Carter, 20, was killed almost instantly; Lundy, then 21, spent 85 days in a Fort Worth hospital and now uses a wheelchair.

After a night of drinking at two Arlington nightclubs, Kolanowski's blood-alcohol content was more than twice the legal limit, prosecutors told jurors.

Sentences please prosecutor

Prosecutor Michele Hartmann called the almost-maximum sentences a "deterrent verdict and a punishment verdict."

"If it makes people think twice, [about drinking and driving] then that's absolutely fabulous," she said.

Hartmann said she had prepared Carter's and Lundy's families for lighter sentences because of the nature of intoxication-manslaughter cases. Unlike other felonies, such as murder, rape or robbery, juries in alcohol-related cases can often identify with the defendant.

"They can feel a sense of 'there but for the grace of God go I,'" Hartmann said. "These are very difficult cases, very emotional cases. We could only hope for the best, and certainly we are extremely pleased with the verdicts and I think the families are as well."

Carter's mother, Peggy Pierce, said: "It's a sad day any way you look at it. I guess I'm satisfied with [the sentences]. I never expected the justice system to work, and I worried about that. I felt like if they didn't give her anything, it would be an insult to my son and Matt.

"But my son is still not here. The world still keeps turning and it shouldn't."

Kolanowski's friends and relatives described her as a gentle and deeply spiritual person who made a tragic mistake, and asked that she be sentenced to probation.

When the verdict was announced, Kolanowski wept and placed her head on the defense table. Her mother, Mary Adams Powers, sobbed behind her. Powers, who works with the poor in Michigan and established a foundation to combat Hepatitis C, testified this week that her daughter shared a similar concern for the downtrodden.

Powers declined to comment after the verdict, but Kolanowski's partner, Angela Fiorenzo, said the punishment was excessive.

"People actually go out and do things intentionally to murder somebody, and they get probation. It's not fair," Fiorenzo said. "I'm not saying that I think she should have gotten probation, but I think it was a little extreme.

"But she's still here. They're not going to do anything to her, so she'll be back when it's time."

'You've taken his life'

After the verdict, relatives of the victims were allowed to speak to Kolanowski in the courtroom.

"You've taken his life," said Lundy's mother, Vicki Hanzelka. "You've destroyed the hopes and dreams I had for him and he had for himself."

Lundy who watched from his wheelchair, had prepared a photo montage that was shown on a video screen. Early photos showed him as a boy and a strapping young man who joked with friends and family, swam and played sports.

"Then I met you," the text on the video said.

The photographs that followed were of Lundy's mangled car, breathing tubes he used as he fought for life in an intensive care unit, and scars.

"Don't forget me," the text said in conclusion. "Because I sure won't forget you."

Kolanowski and her mother were sobbing.

TIM MADIGAN, 817-390-7544

Looking for comments?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Hope she gets the shit beat out of her in prison too.

Ugh

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Good!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Outstanding! Though still very sad for the victims.

It amazes & disgusts me that so many people (including some of my friends) are still so casual about drinking & driving. They seem to think that if they're not falling-down drunk, that they're 'fine'.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Finally a sentence that makes sense! I read about one in B.C ( I think) in which the guy hit someone and ran, the police had to do an investigation and in the end the courts only gave him 6 months, or something equally ridiculous for killing the guy he hit ( pedestrian)
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
Finally a sentence that makes sense! I read about one in B.C ( I think) in which the guy hit someone and ran, the police had to do an investigation and in the end the courts only gave him 6 months, or something equally ridiculous for killing the guy he hit ( pedestrian)
A few years ago, a guy I work with was caught poaching, shot a deer out of season.

The same day he went to court, a guy in a neighbouring province also went to court, for a DUI. He hit a car head on, and killed the drivers 11 year old daughter.

My friend from work got 10 days in jail, and about 2000$ in fines, and isnt allowed to hunt for 5 years.

The guy who killed the little girl, was given 7 days in jail, a few thousand in fines, and lost his license for 2 years.

We had both news articles, from the same paper, posted next to each other for a couple of years after it happened.

Thats right, my friend got more for killing a deer out of season, then another man did for killing a little girl, drunk. It doesnt get any more disgusting then that.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
Could you be thinking of the story in which a Vancouver area RCMP officer who was involved in the Taser death of that Polish man at the airport hit a motorcyclist, while the officer was driving drunk, and then left the scene to go to his house for a few quick drinks before police arrived on-scene?

http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news...-charges-.html

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Apoc. That is disgusting isn't it.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote