Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #31
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
My truck gets about 13mpg.

My wife's Accord gets 30-ish and handles better.

She just started working recently. We have a 20 mile commute. Her office is 7blocks from mine.

When convenient, we'll carpool.

Guess which vehicle stays at home?

The Accord.
I have to ask...

Why the hell would you commute in the truck vs the car?

Is the Accord a shit box or something? Has it seen better days? Does it wreak of body odor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #32
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
So if we shouldn't buy more than we need, wtf are we all doing on race inspired sportbikes when we could be riding much higher mpg scooters that would still take us through the mountains when we wanted to?
Because sportbikes are funner than scooters. But is the average SUV funner than the average car?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #33
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Because sportbikes are funner than scooters. But is the average SUV funner than the average car?

Bikes usually are purchased for recreational purposes. Cars and trucks typically aren't.

They are bought because of their variety of uses to the owner. Are passenger cars more useful than trucks? No. More efficient at moving people? Yes.

I will think of you the next time I pass a bus.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #34
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Can't really say that.

I would guess that a greater % of the population would feel that the easily approachable nature of a scooter is more fun than a high strung sportbike.

Also considering the best selling (or close to it) car over the past few years has been the Camry and would be a good candidate to represent the average car, I would say it doesn't take much to be more fun than the average car.
Even more, the average car is a 4spd automatic 4cyclinder sedan.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #35
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Bikes usually are purchased for recreational purposes. Cars and trucks typically aren't.

They are bought because of their variety of uses to the owner. Are passenger cars more useful than trucks? No. More efficient at moving people? Yes.
How a vehicle drives and handles is not what I'd call a "recreational purpose".......I call it one of the top priorities. Why spend a lot of money on any car or truck unless it's fun to drive? You spend a lot of time behind the wheel, and it's a waste unless you're getting something in return.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #36
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
How a vehicle drives and handles is not what I'd call a "recreational purpose".......I call it one of the top priorities. Why spend a lot of money on any car or truck unless it's fun to drive? You spend a lot of time behind the wheel, and it's a waste unless you're getting something in return.
We live in a country where folks will define a car as sporty if it has a spoiler on the back. We are a country where automatic transmissions are king.

I actually had doochebag tell me that a car can be fun to drive if it has a nice radio and was comfortable to drive on the highway.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #37
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

Also considering the best selling (or close to it) car over the past few years has been the Camry and would be a good candidate to represent the average car, I would say it doesn't take much to be more fun than the average car.
Even more, the average car is a 4spd automatic 4cyclinder sedan.
Think less "average vehicle currently on the road", and more "what could someone potentially buy for X amount of money"
Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #38
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I have to ask...

Why the hell would you commute in the truck vs the car?

Is the Accord a shit box or something? Has it seen better days? Does it wreak of body odor?

The Accord is an '07 with a pleasant clean linen smell and no repairs needed. The only sign of wear is the typical-female-driver-damage (scratch down the side from running through a toll plaza ).

I have been making the commute since I moved into our current place. My truck goes every day. I feel comfortable driving it, like the radio presets and don't bitch about fuel prices.

Her Honda is a lease and is over the allotted mileage.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #39
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

I have a Ranger that I haul everything in. I haul the bikes when needed. I haul scrap metal for extra money, I've hauled in a ton between the truck and trailer with it. I'd like a bigger truck but no money for it. I'd really like a 4 door Ranger with at least a 6' bed, be able to haul more that way.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #40
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I have a Ranger that I haul everything in. I haul the bikes when needed. I haul scrap metal for extra money, I've hauled in a ton between the truck and trailer with it. I'd like a bigger truck but no money for it. I'd really like a 4 door Ranger with at least a 6' bed, be able to haul more that way.
According to the IIHS, Consumer reports and the Government your Ford ranger is a death trap and should immediately be taken off the road.

Quote: