Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track > MotoGP

View Poll Results: Is Stoner one of the greatest riders ever?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8 Braker View Post
And vice versa...

I mean, we've got possibly the greatest rider of all time in Rossi, and he's qualifying 4 seconds slower than Stoner...So, who's to say anyone from the past would fare any better?

I think you guys are letting your personal opinion of him as a person overshadow his ability to ride a motorcycle in the greatest racing arena in the entire world...Stoner is great, and the numbers back that up...If he keeps winning, he'll surely go down as one of the best to ever hit the grid...
My opinion of his personality doesnt interfere with my ability to judge his success. He has been successful and will continue to be, but the racing itself doesnt bear out the spirit of of a great rider these days. You pretty well build and tune a better mousetrap and then lap at your best pace till the flag falls. The fact that he doesnt have to really duel with anyone each weekend is proof of that pudding.

And as for the vice versa, hells no. You put one of those aforementioned GP 2 stroke riders on todays machines and they would adapt to the outright speed and use the tractability and stability of todays machines to dominate. Unless you gave todays machines to more than one 2 stroker, then you would have a show!

Rossi said as much about the 500s, Schwantz and some of the other "old tymers" that have thrown a leg over will also tell you these are far easier to ride than their flexi framed power banded smokers.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote