Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default Yeesh! Highland, Fischer, V-Roehr, Confederate, Indian

You think some of these guys would get a clue and join forces.

Especially Fischer and Highland. Fischer and Highland have the same business model for crying out loud. How many small direct order online motorcycle companies do they think the market can take? Fischer has a great frame by all accounts, of there own design. The MRX is a total package, where Highland's dirt bikes are great, but their street bikes are half-assed. They use imported frames and borrowed plastics. Highland has their own engine, and aside from a wonky single throttle body, it's strong. It's also Fischer's dream engine- a 60 degree v-twin that's extremely light and makes great power. And Fischer has a plastics mfg next door that's owned by a close business associate. Plus, Fischer has their prices under control, where Highland's are crazy.

Put those two together, and you'd have a full line of lean, mean, (mostly) American motorcycles, and a few ATVs. Maybe if you put both their resources into building a quality website, there would be something useful.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I would definitley go for a Highland or Fisher. I really want to endurance race a Fisher in Lightweight against the SVs!

I have no use for the Roehr or Confederate.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

you forgot cyz and how when their ungodly expensive bikes failed to sell both roehr and cyz went electric
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
you forgot cyz and how when their ungodly expensive bikes failed to sell both roehr and cyz went electric
I didn't forget them... just didn't want to fill the whole screen with two bit operators There are probably a dozen others I have forgotten though. I could see MCZ and Roehr and Confederate joining up. They all have different styles- and lots of crackpot ideas- and obviously investors with deep pockets. They could go on producing their one-offs. But what I'd really like to see is a full production US maker that doesn't depend on HD.

I was reading about Fischer, and how he originally wanted a Rotax liter engine, but has settled for a Korean carbed engine. The Highland 1050 would be perfect for the original MRX1000 concept. Then you'd have the choice of anything from a 650 to a 950 for an intermediate. The Spondon frame on the Viking is sexy, but other than that their street bikes are really slapdash looking.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Yep, I'd vote for Fischer chassis & body coupled with the Highland Swedish V-twin.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I would definitley go for a Highland or Fisher. I really want to endurance race a Fisher in Lightweight against the SVs!
And you would lose. The fischer is a really expensive Hyosung, and the fit and finish is terrible. I have seen Big Mac cartons that were put together more solidly.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
And you would lose. The fischer is a really expensive Hyosung, and the fit and finish is terrible. I have seen Big Mac cartons that were put together more solidly.
I hung out with a stunt team from PA at a show a few years back.

There were 3 of them and they were "sponsored" by UM (Hyosung). They liked the bikes and said the reliability was as good as the Jap bikes they had prior.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I hung out with a stunt team from PA at a show a few years back.

There were 3 of them and they were "sponsored" by UM (Hyosung). They liked the bikes and said the reliability was as good as the Jap bikes they had prior.
The Hyonsungs are not bad. I would put them below Japanses bikes, but the Fischer is just crap. It looks like it was assembled in the backroom of Kmart by some pimply faced one armed teenager on his first day of work.