Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I can't beat the deal I'm getting. If nothing falls through, I should have a '10 Kx450f for $2200 off sticker and only $1000 off of the price of used 08's.

Edit: Does it really do over 100mph???
You have to get the biggest front sprocket and the smallest rear and it will hit it at the VERY top of the highest gear.(either 4th or 5th depending on the year 450)
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
though with that small front brake and dirt tires I can think of a few reasons why one shouldn't.
Thats why you get the big ass rotor

Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I should have assumed if a baby ninja can do it. I just never thought about it. That's pretty insane.

I should hear back from the dealer in a few days. Hopefully everything works out.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Thats why you get the big ass rotor

I get that on a supermoto setup, but like I said when its set up for the dirt with knobbies and small rotor it becomes a less than stellar idea.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Picking it up this week. I have no pics yet so here's a stock photo. Ya, that's right a stock photo.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

With the maintenance schedule for those bikes, no thanks.

http://www.mxguy.com/motorcycle-main...al_03-21-2008/

Cylinder head service every 15 hours?
crankshaft inspection at 15hrs?

You will be working on it more than riding it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
With the maintenance schedule for those bikes, no thanks.

http://www.mxguy.com/motorcycle-main...al_03-21-2008/

Cylinder head service every 15 hours?
crankshaft inspection at 15hrs?

You will be working on it more than riding it.
That's recommended for someone who can ride the bike to it's actual capability. About 80% of 450 motocrossers will never reach that, much less trail riding it.

And it's most likely valve checking every 15hrs in that "cylinder head service", once you have that all open you can just check and see if it's blowing up oil in there. It's good to check valves, but I know plenty who go awhile before any major adjustment. They go can anywhere from 30 to 50 hours. Hell my bike had 58 before the previous owner checked it and only 1 valve(out of 5) barely needing adjusting.

If you motard the bike that will require slightly more frequent checks as you'll be reaching much faster speeds and the motor can be spun up much higher in the RPMs than just sticking to dirt and using the retarded torque it makes.

I do recommend REGULAR air filter changes and depending on what oil you use, you can get away with the full 15hrs. ALSO since it's a brand new bike, please get one of these for it.

http://www.btosports.com/c/HOURMETERS-ELE

They make the WORLD of difference in logging when you need to service it. Have it installed before you even kick the bike over once to ride it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

What's your opinion on stainless steel reusable oil filters? I'll definitely be buying an hour meter.

I'll be geared up pretty well. Is there anything else I should be considering?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
What's your opinion on stainless steel reusable oil filters? I'll definitely be buying an hour meter.

I'll be geared up pretty well. Is there anything else I should be considering?
I use one, they seem to catch just as much as the paper filters. Just make sure to really inspect it each oil change and really clean it good. I use a little cleaner and air nozzle to blow it out in a rag catching any tiny metal particles. At my Cycle Gear they charge $4.95 for 1 paper filter, I have a Moose stainless that was $29.99 that paid for itself twice already.

And even if you don't want to MX, outside of helmet/goggles/boots, neck braces are all the craze in the latest safety technology. Mainly Leatt braces, but Alpinestars and EVS have some out as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
That's recommended for someone who can ride the bike to it's actual capability. About 80% of 450 motocrossers will never reach that, much less trail riding it.

And it's most likely valve checking every 15hrs in that "cylinder head service", once you have that all open you can just check and see if it's blowing up oil in there. It's good to check valves, but I know plenty who go awhile before any major adjustment. They go can anywhere from 30 to 50 hours. Hell my bike had 58 before the previous owner checked it and only 1 valve(out of 5) barely needing adjusting.

If you motard the bike that will require slightly more frequent checks as you'll be reaching much faster speeds and the motor can be spun up much higher in the RPMs than just sticking to dirt and using the retarded torque it makes.

I do recommend REGULAR air filter changes and depending on what oil you use, you can get away with the full 15hrs. ALSO since it's a brand new bike, please get one of these for it.

http://www.btosports.com/c/HOURMETERS-ELE

They make the WORLD of difference in logging when you need to service it. Have it installed before you even kick the bike over once to ride it.
My point is, that for trail riding a trail bike is so much better and easier to live with.