Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default Another new bike in the garage

Just now getting around to posting about it, but I finally picked up a KLR for the trip up to Prudhoe Bay next year. Flew down to Dallas and rode it the 200 miles home.

It's a 98. The doohickey has been done, Progressive rear shock, Sonic front springs, heated hand grips, top box, a few other small things..

I've already got a 6.6 gallon tank and Happy Trails Teton bags sitting in the garage for it. I'm probably going to need to upgrade the stator as well to support the heated gear I want. There are a few other upgrades I have in mind as well.

I've had several people ask me why I didn't get a BMW, Versys, flavor of the week, whatever..

One reason. I'm mechanically proficient obviously, and things WILL break on the Haul Road. The KLR is a basic design that has been around for 20 years, and I can fix anything with a few tools and parts. I'll be damned if I'll be stranded 200 miles north of Fairbanks due to a shaft drive that exploded or a sensor that flaked from vibration.

So there it is. I'll be dismantling this one to give it a once-over and lay my hands on every nut, bolt, and wire. It obviously won't get the powdercoat treatment LOL, but I will be painting fairings and making it one solid color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98KLR.jpg (87.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yeh nice, you finally got a bike to put that tank that you beat me out on (bastard).

Also the IMS tank doesnt work with the crash cage, its one or the other, however there is a radiator and water pump guard that you can get (need to get) if you are running just the IMS tank for protection. I think you might actually have the radiator protector. I do have a few questions though

1. What tail bag is that?

2. Which heated hand grips do you have? Are they decent? How much power to they draw?

3. No fork boots? Fork brace?

4. How much did you finally pay for it?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I don't get the whole dual sport revolution going on around here, but do your thing, son. Have fun.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I don't get the whole dual sport revolution going on around here, but do your thing, son. Have fun.
There is no revolution, some of us just wanted to do more on bikes than a sportbike would allow
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I agree marko, not much dirt riding to be had in LI/NYC anyway. Will stick to the sport/touring thing for now.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Also the IMS tank doesnt work with the crash cage, its one or the other, however there is a radiator and water pump guard that you can get (need to get) if you are running just the IMS tank for protection. I think you might actually have the radiator protector. I do have a few questions though

1. What tail bag is that?

2. Which heated hand grips do you have? Are they decent? How much power to they draw?

3. No fork boots? Fork brace?

4. How much did you finally pay for it?
It does have the radiator protector already. The skid plate comes up enough to cover the water pump too, so I"m good there. I can't run the crash bars anyway with the IMS, so wasn't too worried about them.

1. It's a JC Whitney I think the guy said. It's not bad, but I want something larger, so I'll probably take this one off and sell it. Interested?

2. Not sure of the brand, but so far, even on hi, I can't feel them through my gloves, but maybe I have gotten impatient and not let them run long enough. I can feel them get plenty hot without gloves, so maybe it's just me. Unsure of the amperage draw, haven't taken a multimeter to the bike yet.

3. The previous owner said in his experience, the Seal Savers that are on it work better than fork boots. I'll be adding fork boots along with the Seal Savers though, for extra protection. I do intend to pick up a fork brace also.

4. I paid $1500 for it.

Quote:
Look up the Haul Road between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Then, you will understand. That road is 414 miles of GRAVEL each way, so to go to Prudhoe Bay, I'm looking at 830 miles of gravel. I *could* do it on the Busa, but it will be a ton easier on something more appropriate for the road. See "Ice Road Truckers" for reference, but in the summer. LOL

Last edited by G-Rex; 09-28-2010 at 08:47 AM..
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
It does have the radiator protector already. The skid plate comes up enough to cover the water pump too, so I"m good there. I can't run the crash bars anyway with the IMS, so wasn't too worried about them.

1. It's a JC Whitney I think the guy said. It's not bad, but I want something larger, so I'll probably take this one off and sell it. Interested?

2. Not sure of the brand, but so far, even on hi, I can't feel them through my gloves, but maybe I have gotten impatient and not let them run long enough. I can feel them get plenty hot without gloves, so maybe it's just me. Unsure of the amperage draw, haven't taken a multimeter to the bike yet.

3. The previous owner said in his experience, the Seal Savers that are on it work better than fork boots. I'll be adding fork boots along with the Seal Savers though, for extra protection. I do intend to pick up a fork brace also.

4. I paid $1500 for it.

Look up the Haul Road between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Then, you will understand. That road is 414 miles of GRAVEL each way, so to go to Prudhoe Bay, I'm looking at 830 miles of gravel. I *could* do it on the Busa, but it will be a ton easier on something more appropriate for the road. See "Ice Road Truckers" for reference, but in the summer. LOL
I understand. I know they have their purpose. It's just not my thing. Seems like everyone on this board is buying one of these bikes lately.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I understand. I know they have their purpose. It's just not my thing. Seems like everyone on this board is buying one of these bikes lately.
dont worry, I wont be
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Loves me some KLR.

It is in fact a JC Whitney top box. I had one just like it on mine.

The only thing I'll mention on your list of "to do" mods is the stator. I've heard people having nothing but problems with the big stator for these. IMO, it's better to make due with the little stock unit than to have a bigger one that doesn't work at all. Especially in the middle of nowhere. Of course that means no heated gear, but at least the bike will run.

I don't have those problems with my little WR now that I've upgraded from the KLR. The WR comes with a 350 watt alternator
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
dont worry, I wont be
Me either.

Quote: