Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default chicago tightens gun control

Mayor Daley lays out strict gun rules for Chicago

CHICAGO – With the city's gun ban certain to be overturned, Mayor Richard Daley on Thursday introduced what city officials say is the strictest handgun ordinance in the United States.

The measure, which draws from ordinances around the country, would ban gun shops in Chicago and prohibit gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun.

Daley announced his ordinance at a park on the city's South Side three days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live. The City Council is expected to vote on it Friday.

"As long as I'm mayor, we will never give up or give in to gun violence that continues to threaten every part of our nation, including Chicago," said Daley, who was flanked by activists, city officials and the parents of a teenager whose son was shot and killed on a city bus while shielding a friend.

The ordinance, which Daley urged the City Council to pass, also would :

• Limit the number of handguns residents can register to one per month and prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time.

• Require residents in homes with children to keep them in lock boxes or equipped with trigger locks.

• Require prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

• Prohibit people from owning a gun if they were convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Residents convicted of a gun offense would have to register with the police department.

• Calls for the police department to maintain a registry of every handgun owner in the city, with the names and addresses to be made available to police officers, firefighters and other emergency responders.

Those who already have handguns in the city — which has been illegal since the city's ban was approved 28 years ago — would have 90 days to register those weapons, according to the proposed ordinance.

Residents convicted of violating the city's ordinance can face a fine up to $5,000 and be locked up for as long as 90 days for a first offense and a fine of up to $10,000 and as long as six months behind bars for subsequent convictions.

"We've gone farther than anyone else ever has," said Corporation Counsel Mara Georges.

Still, the mayor, whose office is trying to craft an ordinance that will withstand legal challenges, had to back off some provisions he'd hoped to include, including requiring gun owners to insure their weapons and restricting each resident to one handgun.

Georges said it would be expensive for homeowners to include guns on their homeowners' and renters' insurance policies, so such a requirement could be seen as being discriminatory to the city's poorer residents. Limiting the number of handguns could be seen as discriminatory to people who owned weapons before the city's ban went into effect in 1982 or before they moved into the city.

"We can limit the place in which those handguns can be located," she said, before adding a not-so-veiled swipe at the court: "For instance, the Supreme court does not want them coming into the courthouse."

Still, Daley indicated that no matter what was included in the ordinance, he expects legal challenges.

"Everybody has a right to sue," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100701/...hicago_gun_ban
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I thought daley was convicted of possesion of cocaine?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Wait... so they are tightening the law by elminating a 28 year old ban? Did I read that correctly?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Wait... so they are tightening the law by elminating a 28 year old ban? Did I read that correctly?
The supremem court overturned the ban, chicago is doing their best to do gun control without banning guns
Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

The local Sheriff needs to go in and arrest Mayor Daley and all those involved in introducing this type of legislation, that clearly is an attempt to ignore the Supreme Court's ruling. Now that the ruling has been made, they need to give up on it, or be considered traitors to America and properly executed.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I love how one of their arguments is that a kid was shot while shielding a friend on a city bus. If Chicago residents were allowed to be armed, someone on that bus probably would have had a gun and may very well have shot the armed thug. Chicago can keep their residents from having guns, but they can't keep the criminals in the city from having guns. Lovely.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I love how one of their arguments is that a kid was shot while shielding a friend on a city bus. If Chicago residents were allowed to be armed, someone on that bus probably would have had a gun and may very well have shot the armed thug. Chicago can keep their residents from having guns, but they can't keep the criminals in the city from having guns. Lovely.
They ignore simple logic, piles of individual cases, and copious amounts of statistical data that proves their side is wrong... all for the sake of an emotional ideology that gives power to the criminals and to the government.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

When I left the tourist area of Chicago the other week (tourist area=heavily patroled by armed cops) and entered the "real" Chicago, I've never felt so unsafe in my life as I did there. And I've been in some very shitty parts of Atlanta (unarmed there too).

The only thing that keeps Chicago afloat is their name. Other than that there is no other reason to be there or do business with Chicago. I'd rather be in Milwaukee if I had to be in that part of the country.

I'd also pay $100 to watch Daley walk through his gun free city at night by himself with no body guards (or guns) or cops. Fucking tool.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
They ignore simple logic, piles of individual cases, and copious amounts of statistical data that proves their side is wrong... all for the sake of an emotional ideology that gives power to the criminals and to the government.
[threadjack]
Oh, so you mean they're just like my ex and all her irrational, emotional arguments as to why she should have my daughter more than I have her? That bitch has no concept of logic or reasoning. Jack Nicholson's character in "As Good As It Gets" was spot on with his comment as to how he writes women so well.

"First, I start with a man, then take away all reason and accountability"...describes my ex's thinking ability to a T.

[/threadjack]
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Daley is an idiot, as is every Chicago or Detroit politician since I've been alive.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote