Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #61
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Lets take a recent I 540 example...PU headed Northbound at 65 changes lanes and clips a vehicle, sending the P.U across the median and head on into a Hyundai traveling South at 65.

Both people in V1 and V2 dead on impact, probably a 100-115 mph head on.

If they were meeting at 170 would it make a diff? Maybe in how many other cars would be involved?

Or Last week, older Ford PU leaves the road and strikes a tree 45 mph impact. Driver ejected and killed. So he hits it at 80...All that changes is the length of the debris field?
Bad examples. How about some examples where everyone survived 100-115 closing speed head-on collision. Would they have survived meeting at 170? Much different question (and a lot harder to answer).

I've got no doubt that the posted speed limit has little bearing on the "safest" speed for a particular stretch of road. Yeah Avatard, you've thoroughly argued that your small part of the motoring world would be better off with a higher speed limit. Fine, but I haven't been on too many stretches of Texas roads that I think would actually be SAFER with a higher speed limit. And wasn't this about roads in this part of the country in the first place?
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #62
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Bad examples. How about some examples where everyone survived 100-115 closing speed head-on collision. Would they have survived meeting at 170? Much different question (and a lot harder to answer).

I've got no doubt that the posted speed limit has little bearing on the "safest" speed for a particular stretch of road. Yeah Avatard, you've thoroughly argued that your small part of the motoring world would be better off with a higher speed limit. Fine, but I haven't been on too many stretches of Texas roads that I think would actually be SAFER with a higher speed limit. And wasn't this about roads in this part of the country in the first place?
Big difference between Austin and the rest of Texas, as you know.......especially West Texas, or up near the panhandle. Besides it isn't like they would make it 85 everywhere.

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-12-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #63
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post

Those were just two recent crashes here regionally. I betcha I could research all day and not find actual survivors of a 100+ combined speed head on...

Anyways, I think the biggest impact people will notice from the new speed limit is how bad their mileage sucks at 85 compared to 55...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #64
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The higher speed itself isn't more safe..........It's the belief that it would reduce the differential of speed between the slowest & fastest drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
OMG, somebody fucking gets it!

You win a prize; whip or a doll, anything from the top shelf.

No more calls, please, we have a winner.
Maybe you should read my statement below instead of just focusing on what's convenient for your line of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Maybe by and large in volume, but incidental situations are going to be progressively worse... the little old lady who's driving at 45mph on the highway, is probably not going to increase her speed proportionately, therefore more people are going to encounter her at higher rates of speed.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for increased speed limits, but to somehow justify it as a safety measure is bad logic.
Again... increasing the speed limit is not going to make things safer, however I am all for it.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #65
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Those were just two recent crashes here regionally. I betcha I could research all day and not find actual survivors of a 100+ combined speed head on...

Anyways, I think the biggest impact people will notice from the new speed limit is how bad their mileage sucks at 85 compared to 55...
Yep, I bet you're right about the mileage (unless you're in a drafting convoy like azoomm).

And I'm just saying that if they're dead at 100mph closing speed, then of course they'll be dead at 170mph closing speed. The thing I'd be interested in is how many people who are surviving crashes today would be dead if everyone was going faster.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #66
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Meet me in the parking lot after school!
Fixed

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #67
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Fixed
Behind Kmart was the place in my town...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote