Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
I actually got my chicken strips all of the way off of my 190/55 on friday, the same ride where I drug my knee for the first time.

I am confused though. Why would you want a 190/55 for sport touring? They are 15 bucks more expensive than a 190/50 and wouldn't make the bike any better at all for the type of riding it would be.

A lot of people are trying Sport touring tires to get better mileage Some people even claim that they don't notice a grip difference between st tires and ss tires. As long as I am still traveling at the speeds that I currently do, I'll stick with super sport tires. I personally appreciate the confidence that they inspire.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #32
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
I actually got my chicken strips all of the way off of my 190/55 on friday, the same ride where I drug my knee for the first time.

I am confused though. Why would you want a 190/55 for sport touring? They are 15 bucks more expensive than a 190/50 and wouldn't make the bike any better at all for the type of riding it would be.
My stock tire size is 190/55. Since that's the tire the bike was built with, I'd prefer a sport touring tire of the same size. Since I can't get that, I'm running Pilot Power 2CTs right now. I'll probably get some Pilot Road 2's next, and just go with a 190/50.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #33
t-homo
WSB Champion

Pirelli Diablo Rossos come in 190/55. I got 8 thousand miles out of the set I had on. Everything from trackdays to drag races to an iron butt.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Pirelli Diablo Rossos come in 190/55. I got 8 thousand miles out of the set I had on. Everything from trackdays to drag races to an iron butt.
impressive mileage from that tire...
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I run ST tires on the highway, BT021s, Pirellis Stradas...They grip fine especially the multicompound ones. Get crazy mileage to boot. BUT there is something to be said about the extra safety margin you get from a true SS tire...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I run ST tires on the highway, BT021s, Pirellis Stradas...They grip fine especially the multicompound ones. Get crazy mileage to boot. BUT there is something to be said about the extra safety margin you get from a true SS tire...
Besides, I keep getting sets for around $200 shipped. Most st tires are around $300...unless you're getting a lot more than 50% better mileage, I don't see the point.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #37
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Yeah, which means they're probably at the limits of their tires, while the other guys still have more they could use.
You don't get to be a front runner in GP by leaving anything on the table. The fact that riders can be champions with unorthodox styles disproves the ideology of a single " proper" riding style. Every style has its pros and cons, and what works best varies from situation to situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
A 190 should not be used on a 5.5" rim. It stretches the tire to a point that could affect handling.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...ize/index.html
This is only the case with street tires. 180's are extinct in the racing world.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #38
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
A 190 should not be used on a 5.5" rim. It stretches the tire to a point that could affect handling.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...ize/index.html
That was a 190/50, I run a 190/55, any idea how the height compares? I do wonder about the profile but I haven't noticed any noticeable change in handling. I'm still not using all the tread, but considering a friend highsided because he ran out of tire and broke his collarbone this past weekend, I'm fine with that.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #39
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

a 190/55 would theoretically raise the rear end about 9.5mm compared to a 190/50
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #40
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
A lot of people are trying Sport touring tires to get better mileage Some people even claim that they don't notice a grip difference between st tires and ss tires. As long as I am still traveling at the speeds that I currently do, I'll stick with super sport tires. I personally appreciate the confidence that they inspire.
I switched from Pilot Power 2CTs to Pilot Road 2s, and have no intention of ever going back on the street. I get just as much traction from the Roads, they heat up quickly, and tread life is amazing. Simply the best street tire I have ever run.