Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Korean DMZ

So I took a trip to the Korean De-Militarized Zone yesterday. Quite interesting... it snowed about 5" the night before and the whole way there and back. though while we were there... it was just COLD.

anyways... here's some pics.

if you wanna know more about the Korean DMZ... go here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_DMZ

This is the Bell of Hope... it represents the hope that one day North and South Korea will be reunited.

First shot's of North Korea

Notice there are no trees. it is because they are in such a harsh economic situation that they use all the trees for firewood as they don't have electricity in most locations (and at night only the capitol gets power) or Oil to heat.
These buildings were built as propaganda for the North against the south... they are large buildings meant to look like wealthy homes... in reality... most are empty and the buildings are very poorly constructed. some aren't even finished... (they were built 10+ years ago)

Next I went to Panmunjeom. it's only 800 meters in diameter and designated as the JSA (Joint Security Area) between the U.N. and North Korea. it is outside administrative control of both North and South Korea. The U.N. and North Korean sides each operate 6 guard posts and 35 security guards reside inside. Since the ax murder incident on 18 August 1976, by North Korean Soldiers, security guards are forbidden to cross over the opposing side's area.

in this photo... the South Korean soldier(as well as myself taking the picture) is standing in both North and South Korea (his left foot in North Korea, and his Right in South). the table in front of him is where talks between the U.N. and North Korea take place.

This Soldier is standing guard for our(the tourists) protection. he is standing at a Tae Kwan Do modified ready position. Dude was a hard ass... not one flinch for the 20 mins we were in front of him...

While taking the pictures of him... I was standing in North Korea.

Back outside I get my first shots of the Enemy... a North Korean Soldier

The line between the buildings half way between the two streets is the Military Demarcation Line. it separates North Korea from South. it's what I was straddling in the building to the left in previous photos.

Up until the ax murder incident in 1976, there was no line and north korean soldiers and U.N. (usually US forces) intermingled. the North Koreans would spit on the US troops, stomp on their toes, anything to try and get them to retaliate. since that incident... the two sides are forbidden from crossing to the other side. The soldier off to the right is standing with half his body behind the building in cover. just in case he is fired upon.

This is my favorite photo of the trip.
A south Korean soldier in the fore ground... with a North Korean in the back ground

our next stop was down to the observation post overlooking the "bridge of no return" it was used to Return 89,493 Chinise and North Korean captives and 13,444 U.N. Captives. The bridge got it's name because the captives were told not to look back or try to return or they would be shot.

The little monument down at the lower left of the pic is the monument to the 1976 ax murder incident... it replaced the tree stump in the 80's
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

from this location we could see Peace village or as known to those in South Korea as Propaganda City... the only North Korean city inside the DMZ. it got it's name because it housed speaker systems the size of 3 story buildings that played propaganda messages... mostly at night. but have been silent for some time. the city is empty and the only people that go there are the workers who do maintenance on the buildings to keep them in good repair.

This flag weighs 300lbs+ and is one of if not THE biggest in the world and hangs from the largest flag poll in the world... 160 meters tall. The flag is so heavy that it is brought down in storms as it would destroy the flag poll

This is a shot directly down the bridge of no return...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Very pretty country there... Too bad all the pretty ones are so fucked up.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Yeah no shit. wished I could have made it up there in the summer too...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Damn Ebbs, those are amazing!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

They, as in the rock soldiers used to shoot at the speakers with high powered silenced rifles back in the day, then NKorea started to threaten SKorea after they figured out where the holes came from....
Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
from this location we could see Peace village or as known to those in South Korea as Propaganda City... the only North Korean city inside the DMZ. it got it's name because it housed speaker systems the size of 3 story buildings that played propaganda messages... mostly at night. but have been silent for some time. the city is empty and the only people that go there are the workers who do maintenance on the buildings to keep them in good repair.
I'm not sure if they still do it, but North Korea used to bus people into Propaganda City during the day to give the appearance of prosperity and wealth. Then they would bus them out at night to live in, presumably, dirt farms or whatever huts they actually called home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
This Soldier is standing guard for our(the tourists) protection. he is standing at a Tae Kwan Do modified ready position. Dude was a hard ass... not one flinch for the 20 mins we were in front of him...
Yeah, military service in South Korea is not for the faint of heart. They don't fuck around with EO complaints or sexual harassment training.

Cool pics, dude. Thanks for sharing.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Thanks man... they had a ban on photography in a lot of area's... or I'd have had alot more
Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
They, as in the rock soldiers used to shoot at the speakers with high powered silenced rifles back in the day, then NKorea started to threaten SKorea after they figured out where the holes came from....
never heard that... can't say I'd blame them... I'd do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I'm not sure if they still do it, but North Korea used to bus people into Propaganda City during the day to give the appearance of prosperity and wealth. Then they would bus them out at night to live in, presumably, dirt farms or whatever huts they actually called home.

Yeah, military service in South Korea is not for the faint of heart. They don't fuck around with EO complaints or sexual harassment training.

Cool pics, dude. Thanks for sharing.
yeah I don't know if they still do that... but we were told that too... didn't seen anyone over there... course it was the coldest day of the winter so far so who knows...

it's weird... the ROK soldiers I see daily on Osan make me laugh... but those guys... big difference...
Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

cool pics ebbs. hopefully one day all the people of korea, north and south can ring that bell. a good start would be to get rid of kim jong "mentally" il

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote