Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Meh..

Our local schools are awesome.
Your schools suck.

Boooyakashaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #112
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
scared mommies and daddies who are afraid that they'll have to spend their own money on their own kid's education instead of that new pimpin ride or a new LED TV.
Your education was all private / home schooling, then?

From a quick google search, the Department of Education budget is about $46 billion. Department of Defense, not including the wars, $680 billion. Where is this "more money" that we've been giving teachers? Possibly on a pallet flying to Iraq?

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #113
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Through all of this discussion I am reminded of this:
Sounds about right. Either that, or they lay off many of the others, dumping their workload onto the watchmen, but keeping his pay the same.

I just spent an entire day in a meeting where we were told at the beginning to voice all of our complaints and that a rep was there to inform us how to resolve issues, etc. We all had our bitch session, along with ideas how to fix things, then at the end we were basically told thanks for your opinion, but nothing is going to get changed anytime soon. If you're lucky, things might get changed in the next 5 years. Thanks for wasting my day, jackasses!! I could have actually been getting shit done since my workload is higher than can get done without working OT (for which I don't get paid). Now I had to waste an entire day and get farther behind on all the paperwork you want me to push while I make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, when in reality, it doesn't matter one bit.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #114
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
From a quick google search, the Department of Education budget is about $46 billion. Department of Defense, not including the wars, $680 billion. Where is this "more money" that we've been giving teachers? Possibly on a pallet flying to Iraq?

Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #115
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
If all that you have is weapons to "blow the world up 33 times over", then all that you can do is either blow the world up, or nothing. Not a very effective method of defence.
It's a deterrent. But of course not needed.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #116
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
It's a deterrent. But of course not needed.
It's a dare, not a deterrent, that started the whole world building the damned things.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #117
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
You guys are misreading his post...
Yes they misread my post. You cannot pay 2 million people 100k a year...but you can pay them much less. And you have to if you want to employ so many, maintain bases all throughout the world and pay for overpriced weapons.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #118
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Plus you can't really compare military to civilian jobs. It isn't like someone's going to say "Hmm, I'll forgot about joining the military, because I just got offered an alarm installer job for $1K more than I could make in the military". Most people who are interested in the military aren't going to pass it up for a silly $1 to 10K, because there are lots of intrinsic things about the military that they like.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #119
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Plus you can't really compare military to civilian jobs. It isn't like someone's going to say "Hmm, I'll forgot about joining the military, because I just got offered an alarm installer job for $1K more than I could make in the military". Most people who are interested in the military aren't going to pass it up for a silly $1 to 10K, because there are lots of intrinsic things about the military that they like.
Yup
Apples and Oranges goes way beyond take home pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #120
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Your education was all private / home schooling, then?

Unfortunately I was government educated. My father was military and stationed in DC. Expensive housing and shit pay never got us much in that part of the country. I also got the added benefit of seeing my father 6months out of the year while he was on TDY, during peace time. I bet teachers get to see their kids all the time.

I on the other hand will never let my children go to a government school. For what many spend on a car payment I can send my kids to the best private schools. Most prefer a new bitchin ride (or motorcycle) and give a big "fuck you" to their kid's futures.

Also for your numbers. I don't doubt them one bit. But you are also forgetting how much the states and local governments spend on education. I doubt the states send much to the DOD.
This is for Georgia
http://app.doe.k12.ga.us/ows-bin/owa...prev_order=asc

The state spent a total of roughly 6.2billion dollars. The local also spent roughly 6.2billion. For the sake of argument let's just say they spent 12billion total per state (some states will be more and others less). Multiply 12billion x 50 and that equals roughly 600billion dollars spent on education just from the states.

So education gets $650billion total with help from local, state, and federal governments. The DOD only gets their money from the federal government.