Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #41
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Pine Sol may be alright for slightly dirty carbs but I've had better luck with Berrymans Carb Cleaner. I got mine at Auto Zone, it comes in a gallon size metal container ( think one gallon paint can ) with a basket for dipping.

That stuff works great. I've had great success with both kawasaki triple carbs and even with a cub cadet carb that had what remained from 12 year old gas.

In addition to soaking, you need to poke the various passages with wire to make sure they are clear. ( oxy acetelene cutting torch tip cleaner work great ) Follow with compressed air.

Here's a picture of a carb from my H1, all these passages must be perfectly cleaned or it won't run correctly.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #42
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I was just going an eco way.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #44
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

The knock off carb seems to be doing better. Tooker her for a spin yesterday and I am still having the bogging problem. I can get it to go with just barely any throttle but any more and it just bogs down. Im guessing bigger main jet? I started with a stock 75 and went to an 88. I guess it helped some.

Going to adjust the needle clip so the needle opens more. If that doesnt help then I have a spare 75 jet thatll I'll drill out.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
The knock off carb seems to be doing better. Tooker her for a spin yesterday and I am still having the bogging problem. I can get it to go with just barely any throttle but any more and it just bogs down. Im guessing bigger main jet? I started with a stock 75 and went to an 88. I guess it helped some.

Going to adjust the needle clip so the needle opens more. If that doesnt help then I have a spare 75 jet thatll I'll drill out.
bogging=too much gas...usually. Also, move your needle clip so the jet is more "plugged" at rest/idle.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #46
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
bogging=too much gas...usually. Also, move your needle clip so the jet is more "plugged" at rest/idle.
Ok. I'll give it a shot. The wind was blowing today so didnt get her out. I'm soldering new O2 sensors for the VFR right.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #47
gregorytoddsmith
Squid

Default To Rangerscott

Hey, man. I'm working on a 69 CL70 in Louisiana. You have a million pictures posted of your breakdown, so you're definitely a resource I'll refer back to. But, my question is - how did you end up getting the old petcock valve out of the tank? The first thing I'm doing to this bike before I try to make it run is paint it and rebuild the brakes and everything. But to paint the tank, I need to get that valve off.
gregorytoddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #48
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Dusted her off and she started the first kick. She idles and ai can use about 5-10% throttle then he bogs. If put my fingers in front of the throat I can feel gas.

Changed jets adjusted float, doesnt matter.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #49
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Got a great deal on a 125cc pit bike. Got it in the CL70, but the gears are shorter since its for a dirt bike. Gonna have to order some sprockets.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #50
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Changed the sprockets from 13/47 to 15/39. Talk about a world of difference. I got her up to 55mph. LOL I think any faster and I would have either gone back in time or road rashed to death from the bike falling apart.

People probably hear a bunch of rattling and shit, wondering what the heal is passing by. HAHA