Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S
Default WTF do I really want

Ok, so I moved to a different part of ND a couple years ago, and have come to the conclusion that this area SUCKS for a sport bike. Lots of straight and flat, with no decent riding within a decent distance.
This has brought me to the point of getting a more touring orientated bike.
Wife is ok with it, as long as the pass seat is comfy for her.
So, I am ok with the look and like the functionality of the HD Street/Electra glide or Victory Cross Country/Tour.
I like the batwing fairing, and the addition of tunes.
Must have cruise

The issue I have, is I know I'm going to miss the flat out stupidity and shit eating grin ability of the 1125, so I want something that can still embarrass most other bikes off the line.

Budget is also a concern. I don't want to spend $20K+ on a HD (or $30+ for a 110 Screaming Eagle) and then still have to drop another 4k plus on engine work and tuning.

So, suggestions?

Oh, and before anyone mentions it, a boss hoss is not what I'm looking for.

An Ultra with something that put down 150 hp / 150+ ft lbs, now that would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

If you go west or southwest, you will run into curves. For myself, I would get a used BMW K1200S like this one for only $6K: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4279226365.html. But the magazines really like the BMW K1600GT for sport touring. For luxury touring, they like the BMW K1600GTL, but it's like $25K. I test rode a 1200S and really liked it, especially the ESA suspension.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

For an HD, buy a 2 year old one... with the new models out for 2014 there will be droves of guys selling their old steeds for the newest thing. I'd get a 2009-2013 FLH of your choice bat or shark wing (Electra or Glide or Road Glide) and then with the money you saved hop it up. Look up a company called Fuel Moto. They are between Milwauki and Green Bay. Good prices and you ride the bike to them, they do the work one day and break in on the dyno, then tune it the next day and send you back home. It's a sweet deal and a great company.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post

An Ultra with something that put down 150 hp / 150+ ft lbs, now that would be cool.
Hell YEAH it would be!

I rode the hell outta HD's and every japanese clone version OF a HD at every level. Then hit the BMW dealer, and the ducati dealer (They're uglier than home-made sin, but that's why I like the Diavel! Man...I almost caved on that one.....TORQUE!!)

Ideally I'd like an ultra, because of bags, comfort and practicality, but daggone, even the stage 3 modded 2014's with the new Rushmore motor left me disappointing and unable to justify what even USED ones were going for. And after having a busa, a K1200S, Blackbird, GSXR's, TLR...etc...you can't NOT have that "OMG power power power" at your disposal, even if you NEVER use it. I mean...there's JUST no going back.

I had a budget too. I mean...I COULDA spent $20k but my mind wouldn't allow me to take a loan out for a bike. And I had $7100 cash I could spend freely.

I looked at naked too. I really woulda liked to have been able to afford Ed's Tuano but I knew I couldn't swing it without selling some guns or taking a loan out. Also considered a brand NEW FZ-9 but that's another story.

I bobbled along for 3 months pissing off the HD salesman, BMW, Ducati and the big four dealers by riding everything they had and NOT buying. Until one day a guy in my office who has a 2013 goldwing and 2010 Yamaha Raider told me to come to his house one saturday and just ride his raider. He was thinking of selling it, and I MAY enjoy it. Well I had NO intention of considering it, but since the street bug had bitten me I wasn't about to turn down an invitation to ride for a few hours in the mountians.

I'd seen his bike before and yeah they're cool and all, but holy diesel stacks whatta heinous exhaust! NEVER had been able to get past that when he rode it to work.

Anyway...we started off and I was SHOCKED at the power. Holy sheep shit this thing would move! Then we got to the twisties and again I was baffled at what this bike could do. YEAH I'd hit the pegs but only after going in WAY hotter than I ever expected. That bike will LEAN

After 30 minutes I was sold! I couldn't wait to get back to his house and tell him I wanted it.

We finished the ride and I told him I was a buyer! He said "Great! I'll get the title from the bank" Then I got to work monday and saw his email where he had a bad case of buyers remorse and backed out But I found my own (with pipes already) and I'm even happier!

I found out after I got it that there's a company that MAKES a left handed true mechanical cruise control for it for $400

And the SISTER bike to the raider (called the Stratoliner) is identical (mechanically/power) in every way except body and front wheel and can have a radio, batwing, and hard luggage and cruise....and STILL romp like a scalded dog! For less than $10k (lightly used)

anyway...I'd NEVER considered a raider till I was forced to ride his.

I say all that to open your mind a little and explore different options.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I myself may turn to an early 2000s Street Glide this spring.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I myself may turn to an early 2000s Street Glide this spring.
I just don't think the HD will have the power to make me happy. Buddy has a 13 Ultra that he just put a stage IV kit on. I'll see if he'll let me take it for a quick spin this summer and see, but it's a ton of cash. Almost $5k!

Troy, I'll have to look into it. Metrics aren't out of the question, as I've considered the Triumph Rocket III Touring as well.

Gas, again I'll have to check them out, and if I go the HD route I'll be hitting you up for sure.
Have you been on a SE 110? Just wondering if the performance is worth the extra $$$, or if it's better off modding a 103.

Keep the ideas coming guys.

Quote:
Quote:

3662 Supply NCO

Last edited by Cutty72; 01-15-2014 at 08:15 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
dubbs
Multistrada

Ducati Multistrada - I'm definitely biased and its more of a sport tourer and at a different end of the spectrum than an HD.

It's fast as hell, comfy in touring mode, and can go off road as well. If you do find some good twisties, you can throw it in sport mode and have an awesome time.

Could probably find some used ones for 15k or so.

BMW, Yamaha, and Triumph make some good ones too - but the Ducati has the most power..
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Have to remember a key point. Comfy for the wife riding 2 up.
And by comfy, I mean like Ultra comfy.

Quote:
Quote:

3662 Supply NCO

Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

The solution is multiple motorcycles.

My BMW does not have the "flat out stupidity and shit eating grin ability". The new crop of GT and GTL's may, but I haven't ridden one yet.

I'm also in the handful of idiots who tours on a Hayabusa, and the shit eating grin ability of that bike is pretty well known. lol

I wouldn't discount BMW if I were you, but the suggestions above are pretty spot on, except for Troy. Ignore him. If you want to tour, you're not going to do it on a naked cruiser.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Find an Ultra or something that's got a blown engine, dump $5k into a 120+ci engine...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote