Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
board
notsquid

Default So I bought some gear...

I don't even have a bike yet but I figured I should get some protective gear before I ride at all. I'm thinking if I'm going to dump it, chances are I'll crash sooner than later as I don't have much experience. I'm wondering if the gear I've purchased is good.

Helmet is a THH TS-38 (snell2005 so I can use it for auto cross and drag racing as well as riding)
Jacket: Fieldsheer Corsair
Pants: Fieldsheer Apollo II
Gloves: Shift Barrier

Anyway, let me know if I've done well or not. I'm not planning on riding in rain much, but it does rain here being Vancouver Island so I picked this gear so I'll stay fairly warm and dry, won't look like a power ranger, have good protection without being too uncomfortable.
board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I can't say anything about the gear except for the helmet, and only that you will be much happier with a better helmet. Also try new enough, they are better on shipping and prices than bike bandit
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I can't say anything about the gear except for the helmet, and only that you will be much happier with a better helmet. Also try new enough, they are better on shipping and prices than bike bandit
I agree. It'll be more comfortable, it'll vent better, and it will have better peripheral vision. Also, the fit will be snugger, so that at higher speeds (ie on highways/the interstate) you won't get as much wind "lift."

Fieldsheer and Shift both make some good stuff; two things to keep in mind no matter what brand you buy however is comfort and fit. Gear has to fit you properly to do it's job in the event of a crash/slide.... and comfort - well, if it's not comfy, you're more liable to go "Eh, I don't feel like wearing my jacket/gloves/boots today... it'll be alright." (and it can't do ya any good if it's hanging at home in a closet).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Did you try on the helmet? As long as it's comfortable and fits your head properly, you don't need a $500 helmet like some people think. $80 helmets have won helmet tests before and they are all pretty well protective. The most important piece is trying on helmets and finding something that is very snug on your head that puts some pressure on all points. Not something that is loose on top your head and snug at the base. Each helmet is made for a different shape head, so you need to look and find what fits you best. I would look for fit, before any of the bells and whistles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
board
notsquid

Ok, so I checked out two of the three bike shops around here and went helmet shopping. HJC has some NICE helmets with great features...I'll probably go with them ALTHOUGH...I am not someone who buys the expensive stuff thinking its better, that THH helmet I picked IS lacking some good features but its safe, snell M2005.

HOWEVER, the helmet I tried on that fit the very best was a $900 Arai Corsair-V. I don't like the faceshield lock at ALL though, that finicky shit would make me crash IMHO. I'm going to go check out the third shop and see what they have, then buy the helmet I like online (yeah, I don't give a crap about local money, I'm not from here anyway heh)
board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by board View Post
Ok, so I checked out two of the three bike shops around here and went helmet shopping. HJC has some NICE helmets with great features...I'll probably go with them ALTHOUGH...I am not someone who buys the expensive stuff thinking its better, that THH helmet I picked IS lacking some good features but its safe, snell M2005.

HOWEVER, the helmet I tried on that fit the very best was a $900 Arai Corsair-V. I don't like the faceshield lock at ALL though, that finicky shit would make me crash IMHO. I'm going to go check out the third shop and see what they have, then buy the helmet I like online (yeah, I don't give a crap about local money, I'm not from here anyway heh)
Unfortunately when I was trying on helmets the one that fit the best was a shoei x11 and the ones with graphics retailed for like 690. I was lucky enough to find one brand new for 495 so I jumped on it and love it. Ive seen some arai corsairs on clearance for like 400 so that may be something to look into in the future.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by board View Post

I'm amazed you found an Arai at a local place. They usually don't carry anything more expensive than HJC/KBC/Scorpion, Joe Rocket, and Icon. You defnitely want to try on as much as possible, and unless you're on a very tight budget you should look at other brands. Alpinestars is one of my favorites. You can always look around forums for second-hand that's as much as half off. Scorpion helmets are very nice for the price.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I had Shift Barrier Gloves...GREAT Gloves I just boght them a Size to Small and they didnt work with my Big Hands...

But hey, At least he is buying Gear
Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
But hey, At least he is buying Gear
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
I'm amazed you found an Arai at a local place. They usually don't carry anything more expensive than HJC/KBC/Scorpion, Joe Rocket, and Icon. You defnitely want to try on as much as possible, and unless you're on a very tight budget you should look at other brands. Alpinestars is one of my favorites. You can always look around forums for second-hand that's as much as half off. Scorpion helmets are very nice for the price.
For a while arai stopped their internet sales so all you could do was buy it from a dealer.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote