Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Azoomm I agree however I dont advise emergency stopping or swerving while out on the roads and both those skills do come in handy when you need them.

I rode all the time on my 250 but had a "swerve and stop incident" at an intersection and wish I had worked on not slamming the rear brake. I slid through the intersection and could have stopped the bike MUCH faster had I worked on braking technique. Packing on the miles will definitely make you a much safer better rider, but so will deticated practice on emergency maneuvers.
"emergency" is extremely difficult to create when you are the one knowing and choosing where to create the incident to practice.

I put it equal to learning how to ride a bicycle with clips...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Congrats on riding. Just continue on, getting more miles under your belt. The other stuff will come, no need to force it.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

In the Cincy area, if you are out cruising back roads watch out for leaves, moss, and the areas where walnuts have been falling in the road and cars running over them. With all the rain we've had here lately there has been a lot of crap falling/being washed onto the road, just keep an eye ahead of you and watch out for objects in the road.

Congrats on the week of riding.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Congrats on passing the MSF & putting the first week under your belt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
"emergency" is extremely difficult to create when you are the one knowing and choosing where to create the incident to practice.
I agree it's impossible to recreate the element of surprise/panic in an actual emergency situation. But I think that's a bit like saying "There's no point in firing rounds at a range, since that will never be like an actual gunfight." Sure it's not the same, but when shit hits the fan you'll want to know how to release the safety pretty quick.

Practicing specific skills/maneuvers and training yourself to be able to control the bike quickly and precisely can make a HUGE difference in your reactions when those inevitable situations occur. There's no 'practice' substitute for lots of saddle time, of course, but working on maneuvers you wouldn't ordinarily make in 'normal' street riding also has it's place and can be the difference between panicking/hesitating & reacting confidently.

Reading is another great way to pick up valuable information - stuff that you might otherwise pick up at the school of hard knocks! Street Strategies and Sport Riding Techniques are two really good examples of the many books out there that can help grow your skill-set & awareness.

Oh - and a big ditto on the value of learning to counter-steer consciously and precisely. Steering-input at the bars is a byproduct of leaning/shifting your body, not the other way around, and crucial to being able to move the bike exactly where & when you want it to go.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
In the Cincy area, if you are out cruising back roads watch out for leaves, moss, and the areas where walnuts have been falling in the road and cars running over them. With all the rain we've had here lately there has been a lot of crap falling/being washed onto the road, just keep an eye ahead of you and watch out for objects in the road.

Congrats on the week of riding.
cool didn't see that you were local too.

Are there local guys that get together and do group rides? I'd like to take the suggestion that some folks said so people can give me tips and talk bikes with folks. I don't know much about bikes so the more knowledge the better.

I rode with a passenger tonight for the first time down Eastern Ave. Nice smooth roads, up to Ault Park and back. It was just fine, my passenger stayed put and didn't fall off . All was good though, another riding day tomorrow before the rain comes.
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

There is a lot of Ohio / Northern Kentucky people that hang out at www.localriders.com . They have rides here and there, but I think the one constant ride they always have is on Sunday, they go down to some nice roads near Hebron ( Search for KY 10/22). The pace is pretty much whatever your after, spirited or just cruising. I've met a few at bike nights in the past, but my schedule hasn't been the greatest for longer weekend rides. If your looking to cruise head out towards Indiana, there is some nice roads just to cruise around on.

PS - didn't see if you had your license or not, but if you have your temps, your not supposed to ride with a passenger IIRC. I've never had a problem with cops, but you never know.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i

Thanks, i'll check it out.

I have my license got it when I did the MSF clss.
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
goof2
AMA Supersport

It is your own decision, but I didn't ride with a passenger for the first year or so. I still only do it rarely. Some people on here refuse to take one. Beyond the additional responsibility, it messes with the dynamics of the bike a lot. Even Kate Moss will increase your gross vehicle weight by about 15%. If you still aren't comfortable with getting on the brakes hard or slower speed leaning you might want to hold off on carrying passengers for a while.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

My advice is just ride with (knowledgable) people and talk to them. Try to convince them to let you be leader so they can see where you need help and you can ride at your pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Want to learn something good?

Throw far as far as you can that can of fix a flat! NEVER use that shit on your bike!!! or even anything that goes faster than 8mph. I've used the greeen slime stuff on a mower and its good! A MOWER!

Put the FI concentrate in your car gas tank. Never buy again. You especially dont need that shit under the bike seat! BAD BAD IDEA

When you want to buy a good FI cleaner... buy Seafoam (search it here).

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote