Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

If they start to apologize (which is still a sign of insecurity, self contiousness) tell them what is there to apologize for? Learning to ride a motorcycle is a exactly what you said, a life long lesson. They will be mistakes a long the way, more in the begining and less as your skills advance. Both men and women experience the same issues with drops, stalls etc and there is no need to apologize for something that is expected to happen while learning. Tell them no more apologies. Big girl panties people!!

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

My first bike was a Yamaha V-Star 1100. I bought it with cash from the sale of a house. I was so nervous about riding (NEVER rode before) that I had them put the bike on a trailer for me. When I Got it home I sat beside the trailer for a good 2 or 3 HOURS trying to get up the courage to back it off. It took me an hour of sitting on the bike, getting almost to the ramp, pushing the bike forward again (I can just imagine what the neighbors were thinking...perhaps drinking a beer or three while watching) before I could complete the task.

After pushing the bike into the garage I looked at it for another 1/2 hour or so before backing it out and going for a tentative ride around the parking lot of the apartment complex. See, I had the MSF class scheduled for the next week and had to RIDE it to the class!

I think my job as an H-60 flight mechanic helped me a great deal. My job involves using leverage to maneuver two soaking wet people on the end of a hoist dangling outside the helicopter door to the inside of the cabin. This is something I have never been able to do using strength alone. Never happen.

Learning to ride a motorcycle took similar mental preparation. Knowing I didn't have to dead lift the 650 lbs of bike helped too.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

If you talk w/ them before they get lessons, tell them to go out a ride a bicycle as fast as they can and start swerving and turning and weaving.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #24
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

In other words, start REALLY small...

Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Here's my experience:

I'm tiny, and everyone that has met me so far can vouch for it. In fact I am probably tinier than I really believe I am. I am barely 5'2" but its not the height, I am also really slim. I am now 105 lbs but when I started riding, I was about 95lbs so I don't have a ton of strength.

Like Rae, I didn't want a 250 because it was ugly and I thought I would outgrow it. I didn't know anyone else that rode so no one was there to give me any advice. My first bike was a ninja 500. Power was never an issue on any of the bikes I have owned, but the ninja 500 was really really top heavy for me. The dealership lowered the rear but not the front so I could flat foot it. The first time I took it out, I dropped it down the block. I met someone that rode from work so he would have me ride around his neighborhood at night. I dropped the bike a couple more times but no biggie. Then I moved back to NY and with the slow stop and go traffic, potholes and dense traffic, it was really hard for me to learn since slow maneuvers was where I felt the weight of the bike.

I sold that and got an SV650S because it was lighter. But I wasn't any better of a rider so I was still scared. I could only tiptoe now so that didn't make me anymore confident. Mostly because I didn't have the balance down for stopping and other slow speed stuff.

I downgraded and got a 200 cc dual sport and later sold the SV. I could still only barely tip toe but it was light and I was upright I had much more leverage. I rode that around for a couple of years and did some light trail riding on it. I didn't ride alot because I moved to Vegas shortly after and I really couldn't do any highway riding since I would be forced to be on the right lanes doing a max of 65mph downhill so it was more of a weekend toy. But I rode enough locally, and backroads that I was comfortable and was ready for an upgrade. I also learned to maneuver the bike pretty easily standing next to it, but don't have the reach to really back it up sitting on it.

The dual sport solved my bike dropping issues too I have only dropped it wiping out in the dirt but in my head that doesn't count

I recently got another SV, standard this time and see a big difference in how my skills have progressed after riding around in the dual sport. I still can barely touch the ground, but I have learned to balance it which was my biggest challenge before. On all the other bikes, once I am going I am fine, its always been the the slow stuff and stopping. Its a little difficult for me to push it around when I am not on it due to the weight difference but I am sure I will be fine as I push it more often.

The 2 SV's and dual sport are not lowered but I have shaved the seat on the both SV's.

If I had to do things differently I would have started on the dual sport.

Like the others have said, its difficult being watched. I don't like or want the extra attention. I have had people notice I am a girl from behind and come swerving around next to me to take a closer look.

Also I am quite independent, half accomplished , educated and usually pick things up really quickly. But its been really hard picking up motorcycling skills. Its the only thing I have ever had trouble learning. Its been upsetting at times and hurtful to my pride and ego. But I guess something has to keep me humble

Sometimes it seems like to me, its been so easy for the other girls on this forum (or CF) to become really great riders. So its been inspiring in many ways but sometimes it makes me feel bad that motorcycling didn't come naturally to me. But I am a lot further along then I was when I first started out and since I have the SV now and can go further, I can ride a lot more miles to get in a lot more practice.

Last edited by Tsunami; 08-11-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #26
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

the miles are really what does it for you Gina. I always tell people when they buy their "beginner bike" put a good 10,000 miles on it before you upgrade. I know that sounds like a lot but it allows you to experience ALL of the obsticles you will encounter riding as well as learn how to change tires, oil etc if you choose to. I rode my ninja 250 for almost 30,000miles and my skills took off once I really started to pack the miles on. the step up to the 750 was hard at first just cause it was SOO much faster but after my first season it came really fast and now I"m as at home on that bike going fast as I am in my car (maybe more so). I have about 50,000 miles motorcycle experience now and I am still learning new things every day. I still have things to work on. But that is what is so great about riding. It is a life time hobby that you can keep getting better at no matter how long you participate.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Gina that is so true. I forget how small I am too until faced with something or someone that reminds me. Some days I swear Im at least 5'6" and ready to take on the world. Then when I can't do something I feel so small, its frustrating.

I will say something for my fellow ladies, perhaps they noticed as they got started, maybe not, but OTB it might help you if you do more than one on one instruction or can be something to recommend.

When I started riding there were very few women riders, heck, there still arent very many, but out of the 4 that I knew of back in FL, only 1 was what I would consider a real rider. Meaning she rode to RIDE, she didnt ride to show off todays cute thong in her sweatsuit with SEXY on the ass. I idolized her. And was terrified of her. She took one look at me, and yes, I admit, I can look pretty girly, and pretty much sniffed, and turned her back on me. She judged me as one of the girls who just wanted to get attention for sitting on a bike at Sonic. I'll tell ya, it hurt. I wanted to learn from her, being the only real female rider around. Fortunately I didnt let it stop me, and I had friends that were in the same group she was in, and I was able to learn from all of them as a good few were CCS and WERA experienced, and eventually she realized I wanted to RIDE and we became pretty good friends and still are to this day.

I am always reminded when meeting a new rider, be it female or not that as a more experienced rider we have the ability to help these new guys along and that they all deserve a chance, regardless of what they do with it. But this holds especially true with females because motorcycling isnt "our" world, its predominantly male, and if you can take 5 minutes to offer your support, friendship and advice as a fellow female, it can go a Loooooooooong way.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

My first bike was a Gixxer 750, I learned to ride on a dirt bike in a field and then borrowed a friends 250 for about a month to ride on the street. My boyfriend at the time actually bought it first and when he left for the Navy it became mine a few years later.

I was used to bikes so I didn't really have too many issues handling it. I did drop it once early on and couldn't get it up by myself. After a nice passerby helped and then quickly commented that if I couldn't handle it, maybe I shouldn't be riding it, I also learned how to pick it up. That valuable lesson as come in handy several times over the years. I think the confidence in being able to pick it up is the best lesson you can give a female rider. Because if you KNOW you can pick it up and go then there's really nothing that can happen you can't handle.

People will always stare, you're a girl on a bike it's inevitable.....get over it and who cares....
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #29
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
the miles are really what does it for you Gina. I always tell people when they buy their "beginner bike" put a good 10,000 miles on it before you upgrade. I know that sounds like a lot but it allows you to experience ALL of the obsticles you will encounter riding as well as learn how to change tires, oil etc if you choose to. I rode my ninja 250 for almost 30,000miles and my skills took off once I really started to pack the miles on. the step up to the 750 was hard at first just cause it was SOO much faster but after my first season it came really fast and now I"m as at home on that bike going fast as I am in my car (maybe more so). I have about 50,000 miles motorcycle experience now and I am still learning new things every day. I still have things to work on. But that is what is so great about riding. It is a life time hobby that you can keep getting better at no matter how long you participate.
I noticed that the skills are coming a lot faster now that I can ride for longer stretches (and at higher speeds) until my butt gets sore. I can get in the mileage in a couple of days max what it would take me to do in a month on the dual sport. The SV is pretty comfortable overall since I am not hunched over, and I find that I actually do like longer rides. I have to put A LOT of seat time in to be where I would like to be.

I love my SV though and I am poor, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #30
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I will say something for my fellow ladies, perhaps they noticed as they got started, maybe not, but OTB it might help you if you do more than one on one instruction or can be something to recommend.
What are you suggesting, Rae?
More , Please.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote