Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default Excuse me sir. Would you like your pipe bomb back?

Transport Minister decries Edmonton airport’s handling of man caught with explosive

EDMONTON — The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, Jan. 15 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Last updated Wednesday, Jan. 15 2014, 4:19 PM EST

The federal Transport Minister says the way security screeners at Edmonton’s International Airport handled a young man who was caught with an explosive device in his luggage was unacceptable.

In a statement, Lisa Raitt says the 18-year-old should not have been allowed to board his flight after the device was confiscated.

And Raitt says security personnel should not have waited four days to contact RCMP, who eventually laid charges.

Skylar Murphy pleaded guilty last month to possession of an explosive substance and was sentenced to a year of probation and fined $100.

Court documents describe the material seized from his luggage as black powder and there are reports that say it was a pipe bomb.

Canada’s Air Transport Security Authority has said little about the incident, only that screeners do not have the authority to arrest passengers and that the organization constantly reviews procedures.

Raitt says she will call the president of the authority to discuss the matter.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16340242/

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post

Canada’s Air Transport Security Authority ...... do not have the authority to arrest passengers
WTF? Our fat, lazy, JUST ABOVE public transit hourly working bus driver TSA agents have the authority to sexually molest you, then place you under arrest without representation for months before even getting charged
Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
WTF? Our fat, lazy, JUST ABOVE public transit hourly working bus driver TSA agents have the authority to sexually molest you, then place you under arrest without representation for months before even getting charged
They don't have the authority of arrest themselves but I can tell you, that when I worked at Toronto International Airport, the RCMP were a phone call and about 30 seconds away.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I cant even get through security wearing my rhinestone decorated jeans without getting molest AND having my hands swabbed for bomb residue. I think I like Canada's system better if they are that lax. I think we've taken things a taaaaad too far here in the states.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I just also heard about an incident at the Billy Bishop Airport, which is on Toronto Island, that occurred a while back. This guy got caught though after bringing drugs, a gun, and a bomb made with what he though was C4, but he was sold fake stuff. He went all the way to Vancouver to get it too. Presumably he flew out and back to buy it, so a thinking man would wonder how he managed to bring it back on a plane without getting caught?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/25...-airport-court