Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Got a friend looking at an SV650S. Tell me more.

I know enough to know that they are popular bikes, plenty of aftermarket, lots of great things said about them etc etc.

My friend is looking at picking one up as his first bike. He looked at some gixxers in my year range but he didn't want to spend that much money. We spent several hours today at a huge used bike warehouse and he felt that the SV650 and the Gixers fit him well for a rather short person. I assume they are almost the same beyond motor differences? He found a nicely priced 05 or 06 with low miles for around 4500. He is thinking about looking at it on Monday and bringing it home if possible. Is there any thing specific on these models that we need to know about beyond the normal things to check when buying used?

I also sat on my 06 50th anniversary R6 I wanted and it felt so awkward. I will need a test ride and some time before my Gix becomes a track whore and I get another street bike.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

the diff between the SV and the GSXR is much more than just motor... the suspension is much better on the GSXR... but the SV will be a bit more comfortable to ride (once you change out the stone seat)

SV is a good bike IMO for a first bike... but can still get you in to trouble if you get too cocky. a lot of people here started on SV's... the first bike I ever rode was an SV... and it was gonna be my first bike up until I found the awesome deal I did on my ZZR.

get him in to the MSF course... and remind him that his budget for the bike includes the gear (often forgotten).
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
the diff between the SV and the GSXR is much more than just motor... the suspension is much better on the GSXR... but the SV will be a bit more comfortable to ride (once you change out the stone seat)

SV is a good bike IMO for a first bike... but can still get you in to trouble if you get too cocky. a lot of people here started on SV's... the first bike I ever rode was an SV... and it was gonna be my first bike up until I found the awesome deal I did on my ZZR.

get him in to the MSF course... and remind him that his budget for the bike includes the gear (often forgotten).
He is probably my only friend that I could trust with taking the right approaches to this sort of things, despite my bad example with starting on my bike. But for 4 grand, who wouldn't take my route?

He has set aside a budget of 1k for gear, including a helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots. Since I still have a learners permit, he and I will probably sign up for a MSF course together when we can. I would love to do it now that I have all the time in the world but alas I am broke.

What parts are interchangeable between our bikes? I saw a couple threads on the SV forum talking about suspension swapping.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Hey I'm right there with ya... I wanted an SV but couldn't pass up my bike a year old with only 618 miles and a $500 Arai Helmet thrown in for $4999 OTD...

I know that the suspension between the GSXR line and the SV's are interchangeable... but I don't know if there is a year range... (ie only 00-03 can be used for the SV)

I'm pretty sure your suspension can still be used on a SV but don't know for sure... that's a question for the SV folks.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
SoFlaSV
Guinness Bitches...

Moto: '00 SV650

The SV is a great bike for a beginner or veteran.

I will never get rid of mine.

You can swap the rear shock and entire front suspension from the GSXR to SV.
I've done both, before I bought a Penske for the rear.
SoFlaSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaSV View Post
The SV is a great bike for a beginner or veteran.

I will never get rid of mine.

You can swap the rear shock and entire front suspension from the GSXR to SV.
I've done both, before I bought a Penske for the rear.
Was it a big improvement over stock? (The factory gix stuff)

Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
SoFlaSV
Guinness Bitches...

Moto: '00 SV650

It does give the adjustabilty the factory set up lacks.
SoFlaSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

So we picked it up the other day and I rode it home for him.

All I can say is wow, what a great bike! Feels very light and very forgiving yet still a blast to ride. I felt right at home on it with the more aggressive handlebar stance and within a couple miles I felt right at home on the bike.

I think he was also pleased to see me riding it and hear of my great praise. I am now a big fan of those bikes. Getting back on my bike a bit later on the evening made it seems like a whole new, much more sensitive beast.

Last edited by Quick281; 12-17-2008 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Because once again, I failed.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

when you say not a big fan of those bikes... what do you mean? naked's? V-Twins?

I know when I rode cutty's SV after riding my ZZR... fuck that thing vibrated like crazy!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
when you say not a big fan of those bikes... what do you mean? naked's? V-Twins?

I know when I rode cutty's SV after riding my ZZR... fuck that thing vibrated like crazy!
Damnit, that was typo! And I really enjoy the bikes is what I was going for. And yes, it does vibrate like crazy.