Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Thanks derf. I'm thinking in addition to different styles ( race vs sport touring ) you may also have been mixing radials and bias. Doing that in any vehicle ( two or four wheels ) makes for an interesting (ie, butt puckering ) experience.
I can't say for sure, but that sounds like a good possibility. The handing characteristics of bias plys and radials are vastly different.

I mixed brands and different profiles with varying degrees of success when I was vintage racing. You pretty much had to, as not many manufactures make sticky rubber for rims nobody runs anymore. A lot of guys actually ran front tires on the rear, with excellent results. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you do this on your bike, but the point is, yes, you can mix tires.

The problem is, there is no "data base" concerning which tires work together, and which ones don't, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. If you ask ten riders at the track what the "best" combo is, you'll get ten different answers, so trial and error is the only sure fire way to figure out what works for you.

I know that's absolutely no help at all, but that's how it goes.

JC
Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
The previous two owners went thru fronts faster than rears. Maybe it's the nature of the bike or all three of us use the front brake heavily.

There are same brand and profile. I'll need to check more but I think the BT 021 was replaced by the BT 023
Pretty sure the -023 replaced the -021, replaced the -020. The newer ones are supposed to be dual compound I think.

I finally changed out my Pirelli Diablo front and Pilot Power rear. That was a weird feeling.

Is your front end lowered?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I'm lucky to get 3 months outta my medium Bridgestone race tires from just canyon riding. And at 310 a pop...shit is not cheap.

The front and rear tires are designed to work together...you shouldn't mix them if you're riding at any good clip.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
yeh it was almost a decade ago so my memory is shot on this one, but it sucked, just regular riding was very difficult, anything spirited was downright impossible.

It was also a good lesson on how much tires actually slide around on the road
what were you doing with dot race tires on a street bike anyway?
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

At the time I was operating under the mindset that I needed the biggest and baddest tires around. Turns out its a waste of money and they suck going to and from the store, they also have a tendancy to flat spot pretty fast
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
At the time I was operating under the mindset that I needed the biggest and baddest tires around. Turns out its a waste of money and they suck going to and from the store, they also have a tendancy to flat spot pretty fast
Gotcha, Thats like at the track seeing guys in beginner group running tire warmers and that sort of stuff. I am stilll using pilot powers and not any issues.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

yep thats pretty much it
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #18
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
what were you doing with dot race tires on a street bike anyway?
I only run DOT race tires on the street...but I don't go puttin around either and never commute. I've tried running street tires and under the heat they get greasy and slide around; not to mention they will spin up on corner exit. Granted, we run a 3.5mile street course..which is like our own little track (cept there are cars, cliffs and mountains lol).

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-12-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Gotcha, Thats like at the track seeing guys in beginner group running tire warmers and that sort of stuff. I am stilll using pilot powers and not any issues.
Try running in 95 degree heat at a upper intermediate pace...those PPs will get greasy real fast and start sliding around. Yes riding at the street track pace is probably OK.

And yes warmers IMO are a waste unless you're racing. Two track days and most race tires are going to someone who wants takeoffs.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-12-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I have one bike with bias-ply tires (and tubes), and one with radials. I don't think anyone here would mix the two. I think the problem with mixing brands is the difference in tire cross-section. Some are round and some are triangular. Mixing these types could cause a problem.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote