Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Dont think so, they requested we not fly it near an airport or something like that.

Honestly, in all fairness, if everyone else is flying, why not us? We do more to help others than most other countries with never any assistance from anyone else, not to mention its at our own compound. Seriously, to even sya it looks like a "conquering" statement is just silly. People spend way too much time worrying about crap like this when they should be out there in the trenches helping folks out.
NOT flying it goes a long way towards helping rebuild America's international reputation, while simultaneously taking the wind out of the sails of anyone who would criticize the aid efforts of your country. It's one little gesture but if you folks don't obsess over it, then you're thumbing your noses at all the others who ARE flying their flags

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Sweetie, nothing will repair our international reputation. Foreign countries will continue to call us names, think ugly things and do mean things to and because of the good ole US of A simply because they can (and Im sure they are jealous as hell, of some things anyway).

It doesnt matter who we help, who we aid, what countries we carry on our shoulders while the rest of the world turns its back. Honestly, theres a good many people who'd like to see us draw in and see what the rest of you could do without our aid (when we are doing things like the Haiti relief, etc), myself included.

Respecting the request is simply a polite gesture that our leaders decided to stick to because they want to be PC and dont want to "offend" anyone. Another point to the wussification of America.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I can see both sides...I think.

We have our military service people there...asking them to NOT serve under our flag doesn't seem right.

Having said that, though...I imagine New Orleans after Katrina...say for example the Mexican army or the French army showed up to assist in the aid distribution/clean up effort....I, for one, would take TERRIBLE offense to see a Mexican or French flag flying ANYWHERE over American soil.

It's a tough call.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post

We have our military service people there...asking them to NOT serve under our flag doesn't seem right.

Having said that, though...I imagine New Orleans after Katrina...say for example the Mexican army or the French army showed up to assist in the aid distribution/clean up effort....I, for one, would take TERRIBLE offense to see a Mexican or French flag flying ANYWHERE over American soil.

It's a tough call.
This is exactly right. The only difference is, everyone else is flying theirs but we've been asked not to.

I dont really give a darn either way, but arguing on principle is a way to pass my morning. That and no one else played Devils advocate yet.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:

It's a tough call.
Our folks didn't operate under a Canadian flag while aiding after Katrina, though they certainly did have them on their equipment and uniforms.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Our folks didn't operate under a Canadian flag while aiding after Katrina, though they certainly did have them on their equipment and uniforms.
Canadians don't count....I mean, they're nearly the 51st State in our Union. (I kid, I kid.....just winding you up. )

Seriously, George Bush once said during a State of the Union speech that the United States has no finer friend than England....I disagree....the United States has no finer friend than Canada...and that is a FACT.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
NOT flying it goes a long way towards helping rebuild America's international reputation, while simultaneously taking the wind out of the sails of anyone who would criticize the aid efforts of your country. It's one little gesture but if you folks don't obsess over it, then you're thumbing your noses at all the others who ARE flying their flags
Choosing to fly or not fly the flag isn't going to make a bit of difference in "helping rebuild America's international reputation". Saying it "goes a long way" is, at best, hyperbole.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I guess we can't just let this go as a common sense thing.
We got get all pissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Canadians don't count....I mean, they're nearly the 51st State in our Union. (I kid, I kid.....just winding you up. )

Seriously, George Bush once said during a State of the Union speech that the United States has no finer friend than England....I disagree....the United States has no finer friend than Canada...and that is a FACT.
I don't think that there are any two nations in the world that are more alike than The United States and Canada, and yet we are not the same. The way that those Vancouver swift water rescue guys got down to NOLA before even most local support people could react was nothing short of amazing.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
the chi
Forum Coach

Americans must wade through the beauracracy (sp?) before being allowed to help anyone here in our very own home country. We are better at getting in the way of ourselves than most countries I would think.