Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
CasterTroy

Default First ride of 2010 (no pics)

I rode the motard for about 100 miles the Saturday after Christmas (44 degrees), but the first official ride for me in 2010 was to last nights Bike Night dinner.

Rode the BMW

Had my Hi Viz Olympia GT Air All Seasons Transition suit on with an inner jacket/liner and lined pants. Beneath that I had a long sleeve T-shirt, an undershirt, and a compression tee on, with jeans. Wore the A* SMX boots and had my heated Gerbins gloves on.

I got on the bike at 6:12 (with it being pitch black outside, cloudy and no moon) from the house at 29 degrees. I rocked the heated grips to high and put on my neck warmer thingie and then the helmet.

Tire pressure was good but knew I’d have some wheelspin if I didn’t get a little heat in them, so I rode around the neighborhood to see if ANY heat would transfer to the tires.

No slips so I headed out to meet everyone at Brixx across town.

Down my rural road I cranked it to 50 to find any cold air penetrations….felt good….except I discovered a chink in my armor….apparently a gap in the coat and pant had allowed a little air into my lower back. About this time I was approaching the main road to take me to the hiway, so I reached back and tucked my shirt into my pants at the light and all was good. No leaks, NO cold air…and damn….I’m actually getting a little HOT.

I stepped it up to 70 down the backroad to prepare for the hiway…..still good.

I got on I-40 and kept it at 70 for 20 miles till the exit. Where I HAD to disconnect the gloves as my hands were sweating and starting to tingle they were so hot.

Dinner was great and I was actually warmer than I’d been all day.

After dinner I mounted back up (takes a while to put the com system plugs in my ear, and wire myself into the GPS/phone/iPod/gloves, but I did it. But on the way home it was now 23 degrees so I wanted to see what SPEED I could take that temp at…..I got on the hiway and accelerated at a gradual pace to 115 (GPS) and kept that pace (on a 4-lane section of hiway where there were no other cars) for about 3 miles where I stepped it back to 80 once I got to the busier 6 lane I-40 merge...exited the hiway then headed home.

Got all the way home and realized I never fully connected the heated gloves, but my hands were so warm I never noticed.

Now to try the teens!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Sweet! I started to go out last night "just because" but got sidetracked, perhaps I will this evening.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Sounds like a great ride Troy! As painful as it is to hear you guys riding right now, I'm glad someone is able to.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Great read, Caster. Now my turn.

Took my first ride of the new year today. 35 out.. not too bad at all. I layered up and took a test ride to the gas station to see if I was warm enough. After that, I made a 25 mile ride to meet a friend of mine that I haven't seen in about 3 years while he's on his way back to Jersey from Florida. It was really great seeing him, but that isn't the only thing.

This was my first trip to a destination other than school and what not, and I loved it. It was also the longest ride I took thus far. There were a few mild twisties (if they can even be called that) and some hills that I loved since it felt like a roller coaster at times. For the first time, I actually enjoyed riding country roads.. crazy for me to admit being the person I am (I hate this place). I discovered today that I really do love riding.

There's just one thing.. I need to invest in some heated gloves like you have Caster. I did the latex gloves under regular gloves thing and that only works up until about 50 MPH with the summer gloves I have. I tried throwing some extra gloves on top of what I had, but had bad throttle control. I wish I remembered the wind guards that came with the bike, but naturally I thought about them after the fact. They also make the bike look tacky.. which isn't cool because I wanted to show the bike off to my friend.

Anyways.. sorry to hijack your thread, but the idea of having multiple "my first ride of the new year" threads seems silly to me.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
CasterTroy

Yeah the heated gloves make all the difference. Before that I tried just about everything too. It's the only thing that makes <36 tolerable
Old 01-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Yeah the heated gloves make all the difference. Before that I tried just about everything too. It's the only thing that makes <36 tolerable
wuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
CasterTroy

* ninja edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
wuss

Truth

Last edited by CasterTroy; 01-11-2010 at 04:31 PM..
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

my hands were fine to about 30 with heated grips and then wind protection is a must at that point. I got some of those moose racing gauntlet paws ebbs recommended and my hands are fine in the 20s. Haven't been out below 20s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I got some of those moose racing gauntlet paws ebbs recommended and my hands are fine in the 20s. .
I need those for the 'tard....can't do below 40 for some reason
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

with the paws and heated grips I was good at 6* (according to a couple bank thermos..)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote