Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Callow Youth

Fact: The older we get, the longer it takes to heal.

Fact: The older we get, the slower become our reaction times.

Fact: The older we get, the more our vision degrades and our hand/eye coordination degrades.

Fact: The older I get, the more I have to lose, and the less willing I become to lose it.

I was driving to van home from work the other day in the unseasonably warm weather the east coast was having, glorying in just having the windows down, when three brave lads on sportbikes passed me on the Baltimore Beltway doing well over “the Ton” in heavy rush hour traffic, weaving back and forth between lanes of all but stalled vehicles, with closing speed differentials somewhere in the 70-90 mph range, by my well calibrated seat-of-the-pants-o-meter. Scary.

Two weeks ago, during a similar break in the spring drearyness, I was out tiptoeing the Bimota on through a stretch of sweepers not far from my home, the corners still dusted with a light coating of winter sand/cinder/salt crud from the last sleet storm. In the middle of a turn I was passed on the outside of the double yellow by a wobbling Gixxer mounted hero, clad in “racing” shorts and that always handy wife-beater t-shirt, tenny shoes and no gloves. I’m sure he thought he impressed me with his skills.

The older I get, the less I really care what other folks do, as long as it doesn’t have a negative effect on me and mine. I don’t even rant about the long-term negative effects that such idiocy has on the perception of the public in general. I know that along with the tweet-tweet of robins will soon come the wrecks and the in-depth reporting pieces by the local media on the scourge of high-speed racing bikes turned loose on a terrorized public, and the calls for “somebody” to “do something”.

I guess what warms the cockles of my hard little heart is when I pick up another cheap sportbike from some young guy who scared himself silly, or like the guy I just bought the Superhawk from with a scant 1500 miles on it; wife was out shopping and saw him making an arse of himself on the thing, came home and made him sell it; I got an almost new bike, he screwed himself.

There is always the “Darwin Effect”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pulled my share of boneheaded moves; like the time in my youth when I grew impatient with a bunch of Harley riders cruising up one of “my” favorite backroads at ten under the speedlimit whilst I sat back twiddling my thumbs (lots of opposing traffic and all double yellows) till I’d finally had enough and blitzed up the middle of their two-by-two formation. THAT pissed ‘em off and got them following me at well over the limit, shaking fists and hurling dire threats. Not something I’m proud of.

Or the time I ran my number-plated no-lights racebike up the interstate to do top-gear redline plugchops the night before the race to get the jetting right.

The state trooper wasn’t impressed with my explanation.

Ah, youth. If we’re lucky we survive it and maybe even learn from it.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I think we've been through this before, but would it be too weird if I just started calling you 'dad'...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pulled my share of boneheaded moves; like the time in my youth when I grew impatient with a bunch of Harley riders cruising up one of “my” favorite backroads at ten under the speedlimit whilst I sat back twiddling my thumbs (lots of opposing traffic and all double yellows) till I’d finally had enough and blitzed up the middle of their two-by-two formation. THAT pissed ‘em off and got them following me at well over the limit, shaking fists and hurling dire threats. Not something I’m proud of.
yeah I can see how they'd be pissed! hopefully you had a good tank full of gas!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Ah yes. Stupid Yutes.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

thank god for OTB to keep us all grounded. this man is the face of wisdom.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

And a good rider. You should ride with us some time.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
itgirl
is in your head...

i'd love to. i don't think my skill level matches you guys though. i'd hold you back.

kim

Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl View Post
i'd love to. i don't think my skill level matches you guys though. i'd hold you back.
We're not terribly fast. Quick...maybe. We'll wait for you. I plan on coming down toward his place soon.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
itgirl
is in your head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
We're not terribly fast. Quick...maybe. We'll wait for you. I plan on coming down toward his place soon.
i'm pretty sure i live closer to OTB than i do you. where is he at?

kim

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl View Post
i'm pretty sure i live closer to OTB than i do you. where is he at?
You do. He's in Maryland. He's come up here a couple times....so I owe him...and there's better roads down there.

Quote: