Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southwest Riders

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Deazy
Trailer Queen

Default Laguna Seca GP pros

I found ya'll!!! Anyway just wanted to know who all is going this year? Couple of questions, I really wanted to sit at the corkscrew but is that not offered? I looked at the track map and it looks like there is some sort of camp ground next to it but no seating. This will be my first time going, and wanted some tips on how to avoid the stress of seating and trying to really enjoy the race. I really want to meet some of the riders too and get some pics but does all that really take place or is the grid really busy all weekend? Thanks you guys in advance.

Last edited by Deazy; 04-22-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Deazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

You have to "hike" to the corkscrew. It is all open seating up there...just pay general admission. You either stand or sit in the dirt. There are some bleachers but they are not right at the track. The only downside to being out in the general areas is that you cannot see the video screens.

To meet the riders during MotoGP you have to buy Paddock Passes.

I am sure it is MUCH more packed during MotoGP (everywhere else is! ) but during last years AMA finale race we were able to stand at the fence all around the corkscrew and Rainey Curve.

HIGHLY recommend you do all your walking around/shopping on Friday or Saturday. Sundays during MotoGP are packed! If you want to get a good general seat you will have to guard it all day Sunday.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Bring a big hat, there's no cover anywhere. 3 days in the sun will leave you dead if you aren't careful.

There's a hill on the inside of the corkscrew, you can just sit on the side of it and see everything, although the crowds may require you to stand. I bought grandstand tickets and they are useful to get away from the crowds and have an hour to sit down.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deazy View Post
I found ya'll!!! Anyway just wanted to know who all is going this year? Couple of questions, I really wanted to sit at the corkscrew but is that not offered? I looked at the track map and it looks like there is some sort of camp ground next to it but no seating. This will be my first time going, and wanted some tips on how to avoid the stress of seating and trying to really enjoy the race. I really want to meet some of the riders too and get some pics but does all that really take place or is the grid really busy all weekend? Thanks you guys in advance.
Hi there stranger!

I haven't been out there for Moto GP (although Tracy has.. he can probably give you some pointers for that specifically), but I did go out in '04 for the WSBK/AMA SBK races. Grandstands seating will get you the bleachers at the finish line (and there was a screen there when I went.. dunno if they changed that ) and the bleachers at turn 4.

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the paddock pass. It's pricey, but SO worth it.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
I rode my Busa out there in '05 for MotoGP. It was definitely a madhouse.

1. As was mentioned, the Corkscrew is open seating. Wear some comfortable shoes though, because they *will* get a workout. Take a backpack with you too, or maybe even add a Camelbak to the mix, unless you enjoy paying $3 for a bottle of water and $4 for a can of Redbull.

2. There is a campground in the general vicinity of the Corkscrew. I know it was packed the year I went.

3. You'll have *some* luck with the MotoGP riders in the paddock, but if you're expecting to get Nicky Hayden or Valentino Rossi's autograph, you can forget it. The not so popular guys *might* come out of the garages, but the big names, forget it.

Enjoy it and have fun!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

me i are is going, dont expect to bring a car and park unless you come early they have some shuttle services out of fort ord. I fyour riding you wont have to much of a problem getting in as long as you got a ticket. Pretty sure no parking pass needed for bikes, though i don't remember form last year. Its a zoo best place to sit is around turn 11, when your done looking at all the vendors and shit in the middle of the track. Perks of living 10 minutes away i know it like the hair on my ass

Last edited by Antwanny; 04-24-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Deazy
Trailer Queen

Thanks guys, all good info, I was really wondering about that corkscrew thing, I mean come it's probably one of the main attractions of the track, why would they not place some grandstand seating there? lol, and thanks Gixx, I kind of had a hunch about getting those autographs/pictures.

If that's the case though being pretty impossible to get up close with stars, is the paddock pass even worth the extra money? I'm actually saving a good chunk of cash because I won't need a hotel, I'm orginally from Salinas and my Mom still lives there, so I'm kind of killing two birds with one stone, visiting the Mom and getting to see the race.

Sup Archren!!!
Deazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
RosscoB
Squid

Moto: Aprilia RSV-R, Suzuki DRZ 400-SM

Joint the Honda Riders Club and get tickets for their hospitality tent. Food & Drink in the middle of all the vendors and some of the best bleacher seats available on the track. Or at least the seats were good last year.

Ditto to everyone else: MAKE SURE AND BUY PADDOCK PASSES
RosscoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Because it's really hilly and they'd have to level the entire hill to get a decent sized grandstand in there.

Quote:
Thanks guys, all good info, I was really wondering about that corkscrew thing, I mean come it's probably one of the main attractions of the track, why would they not place some grandstand seating there?
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

I was at Laguna Seca this weekend so I took some pictures for you...

This is what the hill looks like from below...you can walk up a paved path on either side or just go straight up the middle...

View from the top looking over the track...

Looking towards the Corkscrew...

Looking towards the entrance to Rainey Curve...

Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote