Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #101
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Looking forward to hearing it.
Its nothing that complicated. Basicly, it comes down to the way your body uses carbohydrates. I dont need idiots with mice to tell me that drinking massive amounts of corn syrop will make me fat.

We have this thing called the glycemic index. Im sure a lot of people here understand what that is. Basicly, the higher the number, the faster those carbs digest and spike your blood sugar. The lower the number, the slower they digest, and your blood sugar stays much steadier.

This brings us to what happens when your blood sugar spikes. Your body stores fat. Thats why most athletes eat carb/protein and fat/protein meals, rarely mixing the three, because if you dont mix carbs and fat, and eat at regular intervals, then your body will not store any of those calories (in fat), and instead use them for energy.

So, that brings us to blaming corn sugar, and not our own eating habits. Soda for instance, is full of corn sugar. Now for the average person, a glass of soda alone in the afternoon will cause little to no harm. Thats because corn syrup isnt the problem, diet is.

Instead of enjoying that small glass of pepsi alone, an hour or so before dinner, we have it with a huge dinner, possibly multiple glasses. A dinner, that for most North Americans is very rich in protein, carbohydrated and fat.

So those two baked potatoes, which have a fairly high glycemic index themselves, smothered in extremely fatty sour cream, with a big juicy t-bone, and two glasses of soda is a recipe for immediate storage of fat. The vast majority of the calories you took in will be stored as fat, because you raised your blood sugar a point, and the bodies natural reaction at that point is to store fat.

So no, the problem isnt with corn syrop. The problem is with a lack of education on nutritional and eating habits. Corn syrop in moderation will not make you obese. Corn syrop as used in the average americans diet, will.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #102
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
..... Thats why most athletes eat carb/protein and fat/protein meals, rarely mixing the three, because if you dont mix carbs and fat, and eat at regular intervals, then your body will not store any of those calories (in fat), and instead use them for energy......
Yup...this is what I do. Works well.

Nice writeup Apoc...but Avatard is still gonna tout how corn is making America fat. lol

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #103
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post

Nice writeup Apoc...but Avatard is still gonna tout how corn is making America fat. lol
Yet, Avatard will still be wrong...

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #104
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
This brings us to what happens when your blood sugar spikes. Your body stores fat. Thats why most athletes eat carb/protein and fat/protein meals, rarely mixing the three, because if you dont mix carbs and fat, and eat at regular intervals, then your body will not store any of those calories (in fat), and instead use them for energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Hmm, guess I have some changes to make and a lot of studying to do. I'm looking to bulk up without getting fat, but I'm not trying to get huge. I'm a severe lightweight compared to the both of you (and most people in any gym), but hope you can give some good advice to a somewhat scrawny 36 year old. I'm 5'7, 150 lbs, 20% body fat, if that gives you any ideas of what I should do. Again, I have no goals (or delusions) of being a bodybuilder or powerlifter, I just want to bulk up a bit and trim the fat below 15%. Yes, I know, they will have to be done seperately, but give me some good ideas on some good meals, please. At this point, I'd probably be happy at 160 and 15% BF, but that may change after I get to that point.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #105
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
So no, the problem isnt with corn syrop. The problem is with a lack of education on nutritional and eating habits. Corn syrop in moderation will not make you obese. Corn syrop as used in the average americans diet, will.
Exactly, "as used in the average American diet", which is what we're talking about here. Corn subsidies that put it in everything we eat and drive the cost of those products down, making them much cheaper than healthy foods like a head of lettuce or a bunch of carrots.

Corn syrup is the worst way corn makes it into our food, and corn syrup has the worst effect on our bodies...yet it is in everything that the average American eats. You're talking about nutritional education.....and that's just not going to happen dude. People are idiots, and they don't give a flying fuck aside from that. Very few people will take the time to learn about what they're eating, how it affects their bodies or so on and so forth....they simply (for whatever reason) buy the cheapest and most convenient foods.

And that's what we're "rallying" against. We want variety in food, decently priced vegetables and less junk food. So in the big picture, yes, corn is very bad for you. A corn cob alone will not hurt you or make you fat....but its when you put all these pieces together that it becomes a serious problem for the American society.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #106
AquaPython
put it THIS way

seriously for you guys just trying to say that western civ. people are fat because they eat like shit, there is more to the story than your simplified perfect world answer.

Firstly Yes. western civ people do eat like shit in general. However, this is for a variety of reasons that can be a whole other discussion such as the constant bombardment for large portions of junk food in advertising, via INdirect marketing. AKA cartoon characters for any kind of craptastic sugar bomb cereal or gooey school snack (anything gooey is corn syrup, guaranteed). the characters are tested over and over again with child market test groups for the best appealing one. The kids see it and nag mommy and daddy to get them that treat until they comply. Just one facet of this, almost like cigarettes old credo : "get em early".

Secondly, the corn's role in todays food industry, starting from the gov't, all the way down to the farmers. from corn syrup's super market saturation, to corn being force fed to cattle and chicken, to the WIDE variety of corn - produced chemicals that basically fill in any remaining gaps in the supermarket aisle, that HF C syrup left.

if you DON'T know shit about this, do not sit on here typing away your preconceived thoughts on this like "the rest of the world is fat because they eat like shit" without looking at the documentaries some of us have seen, or doing other reading backing this up, such as the article posted. The fact is lots of people do not eat like shit, but unless they are OVERLY educated on the subject, even when they are trying to buy healthier, MORE EXPENSIVE, choices at a supermarket, they are still getting bamboozled.

The two docu's that we mentioned are EYE-OPENING, and may change the way you think. I encourage anybody on here arguing that this is not the case to do some reading, or watching, or any kind of research you can on the matter.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #107
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Exactly Mikey, unless you are "overly" educated you're not likely to know. And there's a reason for that, and no you don't have to put on a tin-foil hat to believe it. The companies involved simply don't want you to know, and are very good at keeping our attention on other things.

When I first started learning about nutrition I got the bulk of my info from Apoc and 101lifts over on CF. Everything they told me to do to reach whatever goals I wanted worked. 101 even shipped me a book to help out. So no doubt those guys know what they're talking about as far as how different types of food affect the body. But I'm talking about much, much more than just the way a corn kernel affects you.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #108
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Exactly, "as used in the average American diet", which is what we're talking about here. Corn subsidies that put it in everything we eat and drive the cost of those products down, making them much cheaper than healthy foods like a head of lettuce or a bunch of carrots.

And that's what we're "rallying" against. We want variety in food, decently priced vegetables and less junk food. So in the big picture, yes, corn is very bad for you. A corn cob alone will not hurt you or make you fat....but its when you put all these pieces together that it becomes a serious problem for the American society.
Low cost is a HUGE issue.

We have become a Wal-Mart society. Everyone wants everything cheaper but then want to bitch about quality too.

You can't have it all.

In 1901, an "urban" American family dedicated over 46% of their budget to food and beverages.

Today that number is under 12%.

You can eat cheap or you can eat well.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #109
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Low cost is a HUGE issue.

We have become a Wal-Mart society. Everyone wants everything cheaper but then want to bitch about quality too.

You can't have it all.

In 1901, an "urban" American family dedicated over 46% of their budget to food and beverages.

Today that number is under 12%.

You can eat cheap or you can eat well.
shmikey, ask yourself why is it low cost?

how is it financially feasible for the dollar menu to really exist?

Is it because corn is so cheap to mass produce?

Is it because it is so easy/ cheap to keep and grow cattle and chicken?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #110
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
shmikey, ask yourself why is it low cost?

how is it financially feasible for the dollar menu to really exist?

Is it because corn is so cheap to mass produce?

Is it because it is so easy/ cheap to keep and grow cattle and chicken?
I don't have to ask myself because I already know. Just because it is available and in cartoons doesn't mean you have to eat it. It is possible to avoid most if not all of the crap in today's foods. It's not quick and it's not cheap, so most people won't do it. Do you prefer when I don't space my thoughts?