Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Dig it.

So the hardware is the staff's personal property or you provide guidance to the departments on what they should buy, then they use their funding to buy what they want?
We don't actually work on 'personal' systems, which is where things become somewhat complicated. We had far too many issues, in the past, in which clients would try to get free service, for their home computers, by bringing them into the office. The equipment must have been purchased with university funds. We identify such equipment either by an asset tag, that we apply when the product is originally received, or the client must show us the original purchase order, at which time we will generally apply an asset tag to it (if supported equipment).

Occasionally faculty will obtain equipment through a specific research grant, or similar external funding, which is a bit of a grey area. We err on the side of the client, in such cases.

The funding for purchase doesn't come through my department. It's provided by the individual faculties and departments. With that funding they can purchase whatever they want, as it's beyond our control, but that doesn't mean we have to service whatever they buy. It would be a logistical impossibility for us to know everything about everything. We provide a recommended equipment list, and will provide individual guidance to clients when customization is required.

Our support policy is "soft on software, hard on hardware" for this reason.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #32
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Ahhhhh ok - tracking.

I can see some difficulties could be there to get everyone under one roof a bit. Man, I'd love to play in y'alls network. lol
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #33
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Ahhhhh ok - tracking.

I can see some difficulties could be there to get everyone under one roof a bit. Man, I'd love to play in y'alls network. lol
We control 90% plus of the network and ALL of the backbone

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Who cares.

I'm going to go with "people who work in technology and have to deal with internet users, or internet applications"

this could have a very serious impact on my work. for people who don't work in technology, or don't use IE, you're right - the answer truly is "who cares"