Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
As for pit bulls, I know they're a great breed that can be excellent pets/companions - but I also know a guy personally who had his face ripped open to the tune of 70+ stitches by his pit, a docile long-time family pet without any prior aggression problems.
I know it's not at all common (with a properly trained/treated animal), and I think pits are a very unfairly singled-out breed - but there's not much denying that in rare instances pits & other 'dangerous' breeds are quite capable of lashing out without warning or undue provocation. Not saying it makes any of the breeds 'bad', or justifies 'banning' (except for fookin chihuahuas!) - but it does happen occasionally.

Cute pics though!
I hear lots of third hand stories like this, and I mean lots...but I have yet to talk to someone who's "family" pet turned on them. I wonder why that is? That being said, based on my experience with dogs these people are doing something terribly wrong to have their dogs bite them. Anyway, until I actually see it first hand or have an in depth conversation with someone its happened to I'm going to deny that "pits and other 'dangerous' breeds are quite capable of lashing out without warning or undue provocation"

Scientific temperament testing shows Pit Bulls to be among the most stable of all dog breeds, even surpassing Great Danes. I've been working with a lot of "dangerous" aggressive dogs lately and have found in every single case (that I've personally worked on) the behavior was a direct response to human influence. That could be from sustained abuse or owners who are neglectful (don't exercise their dog, maintain pack order, etc.) None of the dogs I've worked with, yet, have been Pit Bulls though.

I think the truth of the matter is likely that a lot of people want big working or hunting type dogs without being willing to do the work required to ensure a lifetime of stability.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
MILK
The cows want you dead.

My family dog bit me several times as a child. He was a poodle and it was always because I was either annoying the shit out of him or there was a thunderstorm and I was annoying the shit out of him...
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I've been working with a lot of "dangerous" aggressive dogs lately and have found in every single case (that I've personally worked on) the behavior was a direct response to human influence.
I think the truth of the matter is likely that a lot of people want big working or hunting type dogs without being willing to do the work required to ensure a lifetime of stability.
I can definitely believe & agree with that - and there lies the rub. Playing devils' advocate (not arguing for 'bans') - many owners are simply not going to treat/train/discipline a dog properly, and those dogs are typically the ones with the capacity to be 'dangerous', regardless of breed (though obviously size/musculature can make a big difference). There are good responsible owners such as yourself who raise/train dogs properly, but there are also plenty who to some degree are neglectful/abusive or simply not knowledgeable enough to properly train a potentially dangerous animal. What then? Where's the balance between personal rights to keep & train/not train animals as one sees fit (barring outright neglect/abuse), vs. the rights of society to not have themselves or their kids exposed to potentially dangerous improperly trained/restrained animals?

(disclaimer: I know in the scope of things, dog attacks are one of the last things I'd worry about if I had kids, especially since I would make sure my kids knew not to be little brats & provoke a dog - just internet debatin' )
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #24
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Hell Kerry, when's the last time you heard of a Pit Bull carrying two handguns onto a University campus and shooting every last student in sight? How about two Rottweilers teaming up and mowing down their high school classmates with shotguns and pistols?

Bad parenting sucks, doesn't matter if its with dogs or humans. I'm all for PARENT bans...just not breed bans.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #25
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Bad parenting sucks, doesn't matter if its with dogs or humans. I'm all for PARENT bans...just not breed bans.
I wouldn't agree with breed bans either. But with that said I do not see why anyone really would want to own a pitbull unless they plan to fight them or use them as a penis extension. Just about all of my friends own them and they seem like useless pets (not as useless as a bulldog though). You have to worry about them getting outside and running off, they like to crawl all over you and your guests, they can't fetch, you can't take them to dog parks without them fighting, nor do they seem too bright.

Maybe it's the owners but if so then there are a lot of shitty ass pit bull owners which is why I'm very skeptical of someone owning a pitbull.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #26
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I wouldn't agree with breed bans either. But with that said I do not see why anyone really would want to own a pitbull unless they plan to fight them or use them as a penis extension. Just about all of my friends own them and they seem like useless pets (not as useless as a bulldog though). You have to worry about them getting outside and running off, they like to crawl all over you and your guests, they can't fetch, you can't take them to dog parks without them fighting, nor do they seem too bright.

Maybe it's the owners but if so then there are a lot of shitty ass pit bull owners which is why I'm very skeptical of someone owning a pitbull.
There are a lot of shitty ass Pit Bull owners, yes. This breed has been selected to be the current tough guy dog by every thug in all the hoods from NY to CA. Before them it was the Rottweiler and before them it was the Doberman.

All the problems you describe, running off, crawling on guests, not fetching etc and not going to the dog part are all 100% issues caused by people. They are a very intelligent breed, loyal, great with children, powerful, determined, decent olfactory equipment, robust and healthy (few genetic issues) and have amusing fun loving personalities. They can do search and rescue work, run agility, or just serve as a good exercise partner.

I rescued my Pit from the shelter at 3 months old. He does not jump on people, ever. He goes to the dog park 3-4 times a week and despite being jumped a couple of times has never been in a fight. He fetches in and out of the water, runs miles upon end by my side (while I'm a bicycle), and is learning to run agility and frisbee. He also learns new commands much, much faster than my Lab does and is EXTREMELY receptive to training. In fact, training is its own reward with him. He has learned all this and is only 6 months old now.

All of your friends need to pick up a book and learn something about dogs before they find themselves in trouble.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #27
shmike
Follower

Pit bull owners are like Ducati owners, there are two types:

1. The posers who need it to look badass, wealthy, cool, fast, whatever.

2. The true aficionados who refuse to admit that there are other breeds/brands that will do the same job/task/etc. with less money, effort and risk.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

I'm a number 2

and Loki says Hi

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #29
shmike
Follower