Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I'm thinking....how is this much different than mob shaking down a neighborhood for "protection?"

The mob says....Don't want your business to have an accident? PAY US.

The fire department in BFE here says....Don't want your home to burn up? PAY US.

Seriously? What kind of fucking shake down is that?

And I'm with Dave...what the fuck are his property taxes buying if not fire and police service?
I missed the part where the fire department set the fire because he didn't pay which would make it like mob protection and the part the cops have a real problem with.

I don't know what this guy's property taxes are buying but it obviously does not include fire service.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

I gotta side with the fire department. That would be like me riding around with no insurance for years, and then when I get in a wreck try to pay a one-month premium to get all my bills paid. That's not how it works.

I'm thinking this guy saw it as one more expense he could skip out on, because "what's gonna happen?"

That said, though, I do think the county needs to reconsider their policy here.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I gotta side with the fire department. That would be like me riding around with no insurance for years, and then when I get in a wreck try to pay a one-month premium to get all my bills paid. That's not how it works.

I'm thinking this guy saw it as one more expense he could skip out on, because "what's gonna happen?"

I think the firemen also had to consider their own jobs there, figure they could get fired or have some liability issue if they fought the fire.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

i brought marshmellows and the captain got caught making a smore on the dude's house., that's why the dude went after him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Shocking he all of a sudden discovered the value in paying for firefighting service about the same time his house caught on fire. At that point what stops everyone in the community from not paying right up until their house catches on fire? I understand your hatred of the firefighters but how about spreading around some of your "die in a fire" attitude to the homeowners for being irresponsible and not paying their bills as well?
Good for him, maybe he'll keep on his "bills".

Maybe they should already have them paid in every other way everyone else does?

I do share my DIAF for almost EVERYONE. People who skip bills, scam others, screw the system, etc who are all responsible for my rates going up can in fact, DIAF!

But why could the firefighters not do the humane thing? I guess I can't get the answer to this question because no one's paid their fee to do so.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #26
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I can't believe the people in this thread....amazing. Yeah, let a house burn down and fry four animals over 75 bucks, which the guy was willing to pay at a minimum.

How about changing your fucking laws to include police and fire in propery taxes....doesn't sound like rocket science to me.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
that's a pretty good analogy and one I hadn't thought of

The poor animals though

If they're so adamant on payment, the Fire Department should have a published hourly cost for those who do NOT pay into the system. Then they could put the damn fire out, charge the guy, and go on their merry way.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #28
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:

Bringing up a good point.

You pay for it, and hope that you never have to use its service. To me paying that would be a no brainer.

I don't know how they go about services as far as EMT's and paramedics, or is it just fire service that they charge for?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #29
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Good for him, maybe he'll keep on his "bills".

Maybe they should already have them paid in every other way everyone else does?

I do share my DIAF for almost EVERYONE. People who skip bills, scam others, screw the system, etc who are all responsible for my rates going up can in fact, DIAF!

But why could the firefighters not do the humane thing? I guess I can't get the answer to this question because no one's paid their fee to do so.
I guess if they stop giving you your paycheck you will do the humane thing and just continue going in to work anyway?

There are a lot of different ways this community could have run their fire service and I'm sure they will reevaluate the way they charge for it in the future. You deleted the way I suggested they should go about doing it.

What remains is this community did not run their fire service any of those ways. They gave their residents the freedom to pay for, or opt out of, the fire department. This guy, intentionally or not, opted out. Since when are people entitled to services they don't pay for?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #30
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I'm going to bet the grandson that started the fire is the son of the man that beat up the fire chief....
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote