Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

just did a quick google search for defensive riding.. but here...

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/road_aw...ve_riding.html

actually all these offer something

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=defensive+riding
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

nick ianshtchsiasdfasdfa... sportbike techniques is a great book, i just dont know of any links to it online

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
just did a quick google search for defensive riding.. but here...

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/road_aw...ve_riding.html
That's a good one, thanks.

Ebbs' first link should be a fucking sticky. It's really good. Hit the spot.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

Moto: 2005 SV650s blue

when i first got my 250, my dad was tailing me once and even HE said that I was accelerating kinda slow (compared to his camry ). needless to say thats not a problem anymore with the SV, but the 250 is still plenty fast... the main thing is to keep it in the powerband, she's probably too scared to do that. I usually used to shift at 8 or 9K, see if you can get her to shift later. that will definitely help. but if she is just too scared to get on the throttle a bit... well theres nothing u can really read to help that.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
when i first got my 250, my dad was tailing me once and even HE said that I was accelerating kinda slow (compared to his camry ). needless to say thats not a problem anymore with the SV, but the 250 is still plenty fast... the main thing is to keep it in the powerband, she's probably too scared to do that. I usually used to shift at 8 or 9K, see if you can get her to shift later. that will definitely help. but if she is just too scared to get on the throttle a bit... well theres nothing u can really read to help that.
I told her to shift between 4 and 6k for now. That'll still give her enough pep to get up to speed fast enough though. And her cruising speed should be around 5k. She just needs to practice shifting because that's where she scrubs off speed. It takes her a bit to perform the actual shift. I told her to anticipate a shift by getting her foot in position, then clutch, shift and release. The pegs are whack, too. Big as rubber pad on top. WTF? I'm gonna look into aftermarket, all metal pegs.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #16
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I know PhiSig and NeonspeedRT are MSF coaches... you might try PM'ing one of them...

PizDets probably has a copy of all of the books mentioned in PDF format...

Or you could always ask OTB to start a thread about it.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Garbage. Those are tips submitted by everyday people. I'm looking for something online that I can view that's froman established rider, you know?
tought to find solid info online, as most of it is speculative. you know how we all like to think we know everything.

Try a Motorcycles for dummies book. No shit. Was looking at one the other day at barnes and noble and it had pretty much everything a BRAND SPANKIN newb needs to know not to get his/her head plowed off by that hummer.

If thats not your style, still browse the bookshelfs some. That shit is published for a reason, its no bullshit.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
Try a Motorcycles for dummies book. No shit. Was looking at one the other day at barnes and noble and it had pretty much everything a BRAND SPANKIN newb needs to know not to get his/her head plowed off by that hummer.
I never thought of that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Nick Ieanetsch's... Sportbike Techniques is good. I'm going to look for a hardcopy of it, since it's incredibly difficult to read on screen. Really informative on general techniques, and shifting weight and riding dynamics and traction/tire characteristics.

I picked up Lee Park's Total Control and didn't care for it (something like $12 for a $40 book). Too much zen and mind with no mind empty head crap. I don't like his analogies either...like a 5 year old is reading it. The exercises look interesting, but I haven't had time to practice them yet. They're probably way too advanced for what you're looking for.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Total Control by Lee Parks is my favorite. I read it often. Especially after meeting the author and taking his Total Control class. Most of his stuff is for the advanced rider, but it's never too early to learn the correct movements. Plus, Lee has a chapter on fear, and how to confront it. Once you remove fear, learning anything is easy.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #20
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

Moto: 2005 SV650s blue

4 and 6? idk man I'd tack on at least 2K to the recommended break in numbers. i shifted at or before 6 for the first 500 miles then at or before 8 till 1000 miles.i know you want her to take it slow but the ninja 250 engine is meant to be revved hard. definitely the shifting will slow her down so that is important to work on first but....in 6th gear at 4K RPM that bike is only doing like 45 MPH. so the fact that she has to make 5 shifts whereas you only have to do one will definitely slow her down.