AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default ‘If You Voted for Obama, Seek Urologic Care Elsewhere’

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.c...are-elsewhere/

Quote:
April 2, 2010, 1:02 pm

‘If You Voted for Obama, Seek Urologic Care Elsewhere’
By DAMIEN CAVE
MIAMI — Doctors take the Hippocratic oath promising to do no harm, but once that requirement is fulfilled do they have a right to choose patients based on politics?

One Republican urologist outside Orlando has stirred up a tempest by suggesting exactly that. A sign hanging this week in the office of Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, clearly states a preference for patients who agree with his opposition to the president, and the recently passed health care overhaul.

“If you voted for Obama,” says the taped-up sign, “seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now. Not in four years.”

Perhaps it was just a matter of time before the partisan rancor surrounding health care found its way into patient care. Civil rights law prevents discrimination based on sex, gender, or religion, but experts say that political differences are not specifically protected — consider it a pre-existing condition that can still be used for patient filtering.

The logic for some, especially here in contentious swing states like Florida, seems to be simple: Stand up and stay separated. If states, counties or towns can be red and blue, Republican and Democratic, why not everyplace else within those areas? Why not make sure that even in doctors’ offices people can feel secure in knowing they are sharing space with those who are share their views?

Dr. Cassell, in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, insisted that he would not turn anyone away. “That would be unethical,” he said. But he added that he would not mind if Democrats saw the sign and found another doctor. His wife is a Republican candidate for the local county commission, so perhaps his efforts are an example of strong spousal support and smart politics.

It was tough to tell on Friday morning — the telephone line at his office in Mount Dora was busy for several hours, possibly with calls of praise or complaint.

But at least one patient referred to Dr. Cassell has sought care elsewhere, according to the office of Representative Alan Grayson. Mr. Grayson, a Democrat who was one of the boldest supporters of health care in the House, represents the neighborhood where Dr. Cassell’s office sits. His response was characteristic outrage.

“I think it’s disgusting,” he said. “I know that most people go into health care because they want to help sick people. They don’t have some political agenda. I think it’s outrageous that someone would try to press his political agenda.”

He added, “I think the sore losers are out in force.”
Old 04-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I think this is also why stuff never gets acomplished, had everyone tried working together instead of along party lines things may get acomplished. Now this doctor is no better than the rest of these jokers in washington.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

hey, he's free to voice his opinion.

just like if people don't like it, they're free to go somewhere else.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I voted for Bob Barr can i get my wee wee checked by him?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle man View Post

Just like if people don't like it, they're free to go somewhere else.
exactly
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
was92v
Nowhere Man

Yeah, whatever...
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post

just like if people don't like it, they're free to go somewhere else.

Definitely opens himself up to some interesting lawsuits. What if he screws up a procedure on an Obama supporter who decided to not go elsewhere? They then have some form of pre-existing bias to hang him with.

Great for him for speaking up. But, now he has to deal with any consequences for those words that he spoke.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I'm not sure on this one....it is a private practice in all, but I'm not sure if you can discriminate based upon political views.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

The Doc is like any other private business.... he can refuse service to anyone for any reason. Good for him.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Definitely opens himself up to some interesting lawsuits. What if he screws up a procedure on an Obama supporter who decided to not go elsewhere? They then have some form of pre-existing bias to hang him with.

Great for him for speaking up. But, now he has to deal with any consequences for those words that he spoke.

Or a republican, who ends up with a problem in surgery, and upon finding out, has suddenly been a democrat his whole life.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote