Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

If I ever decide to take religion seriously and get all indoctrinated...I'm so going to chart up motherfucking threads like this.

diagrams yo
iz whats fer breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination. If my kid came to me whining about having to sing something about Allah, I'd tell him to STFU and sing the damn song.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Yet somehow, when speaking English, Jews worship God, Christians worship Christ, and Muslims still worship Allah. I understand that Mohammed ripped off the Jews and the Christians, right down to claiming the angel Gabriel as his primary messenger. Doesn't mean they are the same gods. The Jewish god has yet to send a messiah, and pretty much only cares about ethnic Jews. The Christian god sent "himself" as a messiah 2000 years ago. The Muslim god has no need for messiahs, I guess Mohammed was blessing enough.

People like to say "they are the same God" or "Muslims worship the same God as 'we' do" as a means of defusing enmity among the three religions. But doing so ignores the reasons for that enmity. They are separate religions, separate stories with markedly different "endings," and separate gods.

That said, the song was in Urdu. It was a reference to the Muslim god. And I still don't care that James Harper wants to quit choir over it. Join a church choir if it means that much to you, Jimbo.
The New Testament explicitly says that the God of Jesus is the same God of Abraham. The Koran says the same thing, thats my point. Whether or not people decide that they want their own custom god that isnt associated with those other people, whoever they may be, is irrelevant to the historical facts.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

And my point is that the song was referring to the Muslim god. Which, today, is a different god than that of the Jews and the Christians, whose gods are also different from each other.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
And my point is that the song was referring to the Muslim god. Which, today, is a different god than that of the Jews and the Christians, whose gods are also different from each other.
Same God. Different style of worship. They even share some of the same books, as I stated previously. Facts don't change.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Same God. Different style of worship. They even share some of the same books, as I stated previously. Facts don't change.
x2

IIRC isn't Jesus supposed to be a type of prophet in Mohammed's eyes?

But anyways, like I said, my thing is differance in the way it's applied. I don't see the ACLU crying fowl over this because theyr'e pushing "god" and religion on people.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #27
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
x2

IIRC isn't Jesus supposed to be a type of prophet in Mohammed's eyes?

But anyways, like I said, my thing is differance in the way it's applied. I don't see the ACLU crying fowl over this because theyr'e pushing "god" and religion on people.
It's been a while but if I recall correctly from my readings he's a prophet and, more importantly, the prophet who returns at the end of things.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
fatbuckRTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
If they were the same god, the different styles of worship would describe denominations. They are different religions, at least according to those who practice them.

At this point it's a semantic argument, I think. I understand the three share holy books, some dogmas, and a lot of history (both verified and dogmatic). But they are different gods in my book, by my definition of what makes a thing "different" from another thing. To a Christian, worship of the Muslim god is idolatry, and if it goes without a belief in Christ as the savior (a god) it's a path to hell. To a Muslim, belief in Christ as a god is idolatry, and denial of Mohammed as the prophet is some sort of sin. A Jew would also consider worship of Christ as idolatry.*

* These are, of course, the "by-the-book" dogmatic views, as I understand them. I get that some Christians don't believe in hell, some Jews eat shellfish, and some Muslims have probably never even heard of Gabriel.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Soooo, possible fallout for the kid? Think this will hurt him academically? hurt his applications to colleges? This sort of falls into the lack of respect for others category the 3way I see it.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
fatbuckRTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
the 3way I see it.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Now I'm supposed to answer not only whether they are three different deities, but whether those three could fornicate?

Although, if they are the same god, the implications are mind-boggling...