Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #31
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Theres nothing immoral about doing something legal. You cant be fired for drinking. But you could be fired for drinking around your students. There is no morality problem with smoking a joint at home, any more than there is with having a drink at home.
Teachers have been fired over pictures of them with alcohol being on facebook/myspace. What you can be fired for is a much longer list than what you can't be fired for.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #32
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Theres nothing immoral about doing something legal. You cant be fired for drinking. But you could be fired for drinking around your students. There is no morality problem with smoking a joint at home, any more than there is with having a drink at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Teachers have been fired over pictures of them with alcohol being on facebook/myspace. What you can be fired for is a much longer list than what you can't be fired for.
Was going to say the same thing. Teachers did things on their own time and got fired for it. Companies CAN tell you that you can't do something, regardless of the legality of that "thing." I really don't understand why that's so hard to believe. You agree to follow their rules when you work for them, even if those rules cover something that is completely legal on a federal or state level and you're doing it on your personal time. Employers can ban certain activities. It's a contract you agree to when you go to work for them.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #33
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Once something is legal, you cant fire someone for doing it. Companies cant make a policy saying a worker cant drink at home, nor would they be able to with Marijauna.

Company policies still have to be in line with the law, up on this side of the border at least.
Not necesarrily. Carrying in Georgia was extended to being allowed to carry a gun into a place that serves alcohol (as long as you don't drink alcohol). A local bar/restaurant chain called Taco Mac made a policy not allowing clients with guns to enter. It can be argued that Taco Mac has no right to do that since they are considered a "public" establishment but I agree that any "public" restaurant is a privately owned establishment that can allow or deny anyone they want.

Same for employers. When you hire on to a company you enter into a contract that both you and the employer agree to voluntarily. If you are a pot smoker and in your contract it says you can not smoke pot then you can either not take the job, quit smoking, or take the job and if caught with it in your system get fired.

I think the prohibition on marijuana should be repealed (i hate the saying "legalize" because that means the government is giving you permission to do it) but it is not going to be California's or America's savior. It should also not be high on the list of give a shits at this moment.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #34
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Freedom should always be high on the list of give a shits.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Freedom should always be high on the list of give a shits.
I think the government creating a law that forces a citizen to enter into a contract with another citizen/private business against their will is a bigger problem than letting ultimate frisbee players bring weed to a Dave Matthews concert.

I personally don't care what people do. If you want to drink gasoline and play with matches then have fun. But if you want to see how far the pot and drug issue will go then look at the progress the Libertarian party has made despite most people identify themselves with the Libertarian party.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #36
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I think the government creating a law that forces a citizen to enter into a contract with another citizen/private business against their will is a bigger problem than letting ultimate frisbee players bring weed to a Dave Matthews concert.

I personally don't care what people do. If you want to drink gasoline and play with matches then have fun. But if you want to see how far the pot and drug issue will go then look at the progress the Libertarian party has made despite most people identify themselves with the Libertarian party.
Yea I know your views on pot, or I know you're not really an anti-pot kinda guy. I'm of the thought that when a government systematically brainwashes its populace in the name of corporate profit using complete lies and proceeds to destroy thousands of lives based on those lies I consider reversing that policy of the highest possible order. There is much more to it than just bringing weed to a Dave Matthews concert. Prohibition of Marijuana taught the American Government that they could get away with anything as long as they used the right kind of propaganda, and we've (even those that will never see a joint in person) all suffered for it.

Don't get me wrong, Health Care is a "big fucking deal" and all...but the oppression resulting from Marijuana prohibition goes back 70 years. Not to mention the at least $10 billion a year that is spent enforcing archaic anti-pot laws, and the billions more that could be made in tax dollars.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #37
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Pot should be legal, companies should also be able to decide if you can keep your employment with them if you decide to partake in the legal weed.

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable doing my job with someone who is stoned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #38
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I don't care either way, but I wonder if they will still test for civil service jobs (police/fire)
Why...ya worried?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #39
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
..... It should also not be high on the list of give a shits at this moment.
I'm sure it's going to be pretty high...

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #40
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
.... I'm of the thought that when a government systematically brainwashes its populace in the name of corporate profit using complete lies and proceeds to destroy thousands of lives based on those lies I consider reversing that policy of the highest possible order. .....
You are not of the thought....you are of the truth. It just so happens that you see it in something that interests you. Think about all the propoganda shit the government spews and how many people in this country fall for the rhetoric because they do not do their research.

1. War on drugs.
2. War on terror.
3. War on global warming.
4. War on Health Care.

Most of government is no more than a money transfer scheme with little responsiblity. Therefore, we need to fight for EVERY right and fight for the lowest possible spending.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 03-29-2010 at 11:44 PM..