Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #61
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I like your style.
Apparently, so does Leon...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #62
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Well after 100 washes our oldest dirtbike still has plenty of bearing grease left, so you can claim whatever you want.

Dirtbikes these days ARE built to withstand pressure washing unlike the bikes of your era.

Fork seals are the most common failing part, however I HARDLY would say it comes from pressure washing the forks. I mean, setting your compression low and hitting a BIG jump and landing hard will blow out your seals. Also forks these days come with multiple chambers for this very purpose, and my shocks have about 3 seals that particles will have to breach before really cause damage to valves or springs.

I don't worry about the oil because that's changed with every seal change. With the amount of riding we do(50 wks out of the year) we usually have to change the seals once a year. The only way to extend that is to either NOT ride, which will cause drying of the seals and they will deteriorate faster than if you had ridden, or ride the bike around in a field just to say it was ridden. Neither of which are fun.

You can talk all the science on paper you want, I KNOW from experience of 4 years of pressure washing it takes a LONG time for water to really wear out bearings and bushings, thankfully those are replaced when they need be. I do take exceptional care of my bikes because I tend to resell them often, but we have several we have kept for awhile all of which are tip top. General maintenance and a good wash actually extend the life of the parts because if we left the dirt on them, they would not last long.

So I'll take my chances with what works versus what doesn't.
They didnt have internal combustion engines in his early days, remember time started on his berfday

Are the dirtbike fork/seals different from the street ones. I had one go on my aprilia and we think it was hastened because of riding on and off the construction sites a lot of mud, dirt an dvarious debris here and its all over the fenders and undersides of the bike. I now wipe down the tubes after I ride through the site just to be safe
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #63
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
They didnt have internal combustion engines in his early days, remember time started on his berfday

Are the dirtbike fork/seals different from the street ones. I had one go on my aprilia and we think it was hastened because of riding on and off the construction sites a lot of mud, dirt an dvarious debris here and its all over the fenders and undersides of the bike. I now wipe down the tubes after I ride through the site just to be safe
Technically speaking all forks are the same because they all do the same job.

However internals can vary from bike to bike. If you wipe your tubes down, make sure you put a little oil back on the dust seal(the visible oil seal) so it doesn't dry and crack, dirt will have an easier time reaching your internals. Preferably fork oil.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #64
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Technically speaking all forks are the same because they all do the same job.

However internals can vary from bike to bike. If you wipe your tubes down, make sure you put a little oil back on the dust seal(the visible oil seal) so it doesn't dry and crack, dirt will have an easier time reaching your internals. Preferably fork oil.
I usualy spray alil wd40 on the tubes, but will put some oil around the seals too. I wa sjust wondering if dirtbiked went to greater measures to keep the seals intact given the riding environments vs a street bike.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #65
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

In true TWFix style...assholes, this is about cleaning bikes, not arguing the pros or cons of using a pressure washer on mechanical things.

I think I'm leaning more towards Kel's style, got a friend who runs a bike shop across the street taking mine today for a full detail. For the grand ole price of a can of cleaner. I was informed my bike needed serious TLC in the cleaning department. He volunteered, who am I to argue??
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #66
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
In true TWFix style...assholes, this is about cleaning bikes, not arguing the pros or cons of using a pressure washer on mechanical things.
Get back in your tree and make me some cookies damn it
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #67
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
I usualy spray alil wd40 on the tubes, but will put some oil around the seals too. I wa sjust wondering if dirtbiked went to greater measures to keep the seals intact given the riding environments vs a street bike.
They build them to withstand both terrain and most riders, but lots of people upgrade to suit their needs as far as skill level and weight. I would stay away with the WD, that will causing your seal to dry up faster than just soap and water without using oil to relube the seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post

I think I'm leaning more towards Kel's style, got a friend who runs a bike shop across the street taking mine today for a full detail. For the grand ole price of a can of cleaner. I was informed my bike needed serious TLC in the cleaning department. He volunteered, who am I to argue??
But it IS about cleaning bikes?
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #68
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Get back in your tree and make me some cookies damn it
Good luck with that, I been asking for cookies for over 5 years now.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #69
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Good luck with that, I been asking for cookies for over 5 years now.
I think she likes me a little more than you since I also serve as apiece of furniture when shes hammered

I iwll see what I can do on the cookies front and hook ya up
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #70
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I wasn't talking to you Tye dear...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote