Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > GPS Data

Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #31
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I have the Garmin Nuvi 200W in my car. Works well. Widescreen is Niiiiiiiiice.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #32
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

GPS for a fucking motorcycle....let's think about this for a second.....

when i'm on the bike, i want to get lost so that i can ride longer.....only thing i'd want a gps for is to map out gas stations, since my range is only about 120 miles per tank.....
Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #33
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
GPS for a fucking motorcycle....let's think about this for a second.....

when i'm on the bike, i want to get lost so that i can ride longer.....only thing i'd want a gps for is to map out gas stations, since my range is only about 120 miles per tank.....
ehh I used it to give me a more realistic spedo reading as I haven't gotten my spedo healer hookedup

when riding long distances and heading through cities... it's nice to have in case you miss a turn or something ya know?

but really the main purpose I'd use it for is to log my trip.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #34
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
ehh I used it to give me a more realistic spedo reading as I haven't gotten my spedo healer hookedup

when riding long distances and heading through cities... it's nice to have in case you miss a turn or something ya know?

but really the main purpose I'd use it for is to log my trip.
i suppose there's nothing wrong with knowing your way around....There aren't too many places that i'll get lost in Florida, been here all my life....and those few times i get lost, i won't care as long as I have the iPod blaring and and a nice wide open stretch of asphalt to batter
Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #35
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
i suppose there's nothing wrong with knowing your way around....There aren't too many places that i'll get lost in Florida, been here all my life....and those few times i get lost, i won't care as long as I have the iPod blaring and and a nice wide open stretch of asphalt to batter
yeah... well I wouldn't be using the GPS for "round home" runs... just long multi state trips...

My favorite thing to do in my Truck (next to wheeling it) is just go get lost and find my way back... I tried that on my bike but in AK... you can't really get lost... there's not to many roads

but when I get back to the states... that'll be the majority of my riding... getting lost... finding my way back... and getting lost again...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
yeah... well I wouldn't be using the GPS for "round home" runs... just long multi state trips...

My favorite thing to do in my Truck (next to wheeling it) is just go get lost and find my way back... I tried that on my bike but in AK... you can't really get lost... there's not to many roads

but when I get back to the states... that'll be the majority of my riding... getting lost... finding my way back... and getting lost again...

I agree,it's great getting lost but eventually you might want to get home again! Btw my experience with phone based gps isn't very good. You have to have to be in your carriers "premium service" area or it doesn't work and the lag time is terrible! Like Ebbs, if you carry a map anyway and are using your phone as a suppliment,you should be fine. Note;some of the gps companies let you download maps from their websites for free.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #37
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I agree,it's great getting lost but eventually you might want to get home again! Btw my experience with phone based gps isn't very good. You have to have to be in your carriers "premium service" area or it doesn't work and the lag time is terrible! Like Ebbs, if you carry a map anyway and are using your phone as a suppliment,you should be fine. Note;some of the gps companies let you download maps from their websites for free.
yeah I work in progressions... start with just near by back roads... then work my way out... so the further out i get... the more roads i'll recognize when i'm on my way back. but a map is MANDATORY in every vehicle I have
Old 03-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
yeah I work in progressions... start with just near by back roads... then work my way out... so the further out i get... the more roads i'll recognize when i'm on my way back. but a map is MANDATORY in every vehicle I have
Do you carry your L-compass and a terrain map too? Ah,good ol' military training!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #39
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Do you carry your L-compass and a terrain map too? Ah,good ol' military training!
I don't make it a point but I always seem to have a compass on me... terrain map... ehh not so much... I can survive in a vehicle with out a terrain map... but yeah if I'm going hiking... they'er a madatory item too... (but they're backup to my hand held GPS)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #40
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I got the wife a Garmin Nuvi 260W

The key in the Garmins is the remoded versions that don't have the folding ant. Further the widescreen is nice.

I will speak about things that matter for normal people in cars.

Speaking road names
many POI with phone numbers

Now they do offer a line for motorcycles...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote