Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
CasterTroy

I rode my first dirbike back in 81. Rode that bike until I was 15.

I've ridden streetbikes (standards) since 1990

I switched to Sportbikes in 1999 after I met Brian.

He had a Ducati 916 and drew me into riding fast.

Very fast

I then stepped up to a TLR and modified the hell out of it.

From there a CBR1100XX to do some touring (Brian had a BMW K1200RS and I wanted to tour as well)

After that I got a busa, then an R1, then the motard and the GSXR 750

In the same time I got a BMW R1150RT

I LOVED street riding...especially FAST street riding.

That all changed on Sept 5 2009. I know you’ve heard this story…but it’s part (not all) of the reason I no longer ride street….so I’m telling it again.

I was rolling thru the mini deals gap with Brian on our motards. I had a lead on him and was cutin a great groove when I looked back and didn't see him.

I stopped and killed the engine to hear when he was coming. I head a limb crack in the woods and my heart dropped.

I cranked up and rolled up to the previous curve to see a black mark going off the road and over the side of the cliff.

I parked and ran over to see my best friend 50 ft down the side of the mountain laying on top of his bike...eyes open, visor broken.

I ran down and tried to wake him up. Gave him CPR and when I blew in his mouth blood spewed from his nose. I knew he was gone.

Later that afternoon my wife and I told his wife Julie of his death. I saw her crumble.

That didn't stop me from riding street. Actually I got faster. Took it more to the track but still loved street. That was until October 14 this past year. That's when I was riding the RT at a good clip in the mountains with some buddies when I rounded a corner and hit some sand and fine gravel from a flooding washout and tucked the front tire.

As I was going down time stopped......I saw the bike sliding across the street. The bike my wife and I rode quite often, as well as my kids. And while she nor the kids weren't WITH me that day, all I could see was her helplessly trapped on that back seat as the bike crossed into the oncoming lane on it's side.

What if she WAS with me that day?

What if a car was coming?

What if SHE was killed?

What if it were my son?

The thought of me killing my wife, or one of my kids on a ride shook me to an unimaginable level.

The thought of one of my friends having to deliver the news to MY wife that I delivered to Julie....I can't do that to my wife....or my friends

I rode the RT home that day 150 miles without a windscreen, mirrors, and with tattered fairings….but I was shook beyond believe.

I decided at that point I’d NEVER ride the open roads again. I sold the GSXR and the BMW and bought a dirtbike to ride offroad and to do motard trackdays….and I’m a much happier person.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I came back to riding after 25 years with the Victory. Having sold it in the first Part of December this is the first time in 8 years I don't have a cruiser. It's sale was prompted by the fact that I just didn't ride it any more. Any place I might have taken the Victory it was just easier to take the Goldwing. What I didn't know until I rode a Goldwing is that it is not a cruiser. Just a giant sport standard with luggage. It will in all likelihood be the last bike I sell
The Busa I bought in 05 (added the Turbo and some comfort mods the same year) To my amazement this bike quickly became my daily commuter, it corners well, has torque to spare and because of the mods has better than average brakes and suspension. (Oh and has no problem running away from anything out there because of the turbo) The 05 Ducati 999 was a fabulous bike, nimble powerful with a chassis that was telepathic just think about the the line and it was on it. That said it, it had Ergos that would make an S&M freak wince! It also pounded me senseless and after a couple hours on it I needed two days to recover. I traded it for the B King (easily the Ugliest Bike Suzuki has ever made) Th B King Ride sold me. Comfortable , High torque plenty of power, and ergos that would accommodate a circus fat man. I see a couple of suspension mods it its future. The B King has me staring down the path of a one liter naked of some sort. At the top of that wishlist is the Ducati Streetfighter. Who knows my youngest child graduates college in May, so by fall I may find something else to put in the garage
Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

First of all, I've never been bored riding. And I ride the same roads on the same old bike every day. We had a severe drought last summer and I rode almost every day from July through Christmas and I was never bored. Cruiser? That would be boring.

Secondly, if I want to go offroad, I take my Jeep. The weather out here can change instantly. Well, actually it takes about 10 minutes, but my two best friends were killed by lightning and they were only minutes from their truck. And they were experienced hikers. I still have my 79 Bultaco 370 Frontera, but I haven't ridden it in about 18 years.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

went from cruiser to sport long ago, i was too young to "cruise" now days i'm back to a cruiser from a sportbike. have to admit I agree with above. I always felt I was "Wasting" the sport bike if I wasn't flying down the road with my hair on fire.

it is nice to finally have a clean driving record. I have always been in the "if you can't afford the ticket don't have a sports bike/car" club. if you have it you should use it.

when I rack up too many points I would sell the sport and get a cruiser for awhile. this time I think I'll stay one the cruiser for a long time.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #25
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
I rode my first dirbike back in 81. Rode that bike until I was 15.

I've ridden streetbikes (standards) since 1990

I switched to Sportbikes in 1999 after I met Brian.

He had a Ducati 916 and drew me into riding fast.

Very fast

I then stepped up to a TLR and modified the hell out of it.

From there a CBR1100XX to do some touring (Brian had a BMW K1200RS and I wanted to tour as well)

After that I got a busa, then an R1, then the motard and the GSXR 750

In the same time I got a BMW R1150RT

I LOVED street riding...especially FAST street riding.

That all changed on Sept 5 2009. I know you’ve heard this story…but it’s part (not all) of the reason I no longer ride street….so I’m telling it again.

I was rolling thru the mini deals gap with Brian on our motards. I had a lead on him and was cutin a great groove when I looked back and didn't see him.

I stopped and killed the engine to hear when he was coming. I head a limb crack in the woods and my heart dropped.

I cranked up and rolled up to the previous curve to see a black mark going off the road and over the side of the cliff.

I parked and ran over to see my best friend 50 ft down the side of the mountain laying on top of his bike...eyes open, visor broken.

I ran down and tried to wake him up. Gave him CPR and when I blew in his mouth blood spewed from his nose. I knew he was gone.

Later that afternoon my wife and I told his wife Julie of his death. I saw her crumble.

That didn't stop me from riding street. Actually I got faster. Took it more to the track but still loved street. That was until October 14 this past year. That's when I was riding the RT at a good clip in the mountains with some buddies when I rounded a corner and hit some sand and fine gravel from a flooding washout and tucked the front tire.

As I was going down time stopped......I saw the bike sliding across the street. The bike my wife and I rode quite often, as well as my kids. And while she nor the kids weren't WITH me that day, all I could see was her helplessly trapped on that back seat as the bike crossed into the oncoming lane on it's side.

What if she WAS with me that day?

What if a car was coming?

What if SHE was killed?

What if it were my son?

The thought of me killing my wife, or one of my kids on a ride shook me to an unimaginable level.

The thought of one of my friends having to deliver the news to MY wife that I delivered to Julie....I can't do that to my wife....or my friends

I rode the RT home that day 150 miles without a windscreen, mirrors, and with tattered fairings….but I was shook beyond believe.

I decided at that point I’d NEVER ride the open roads again. I sold the GSXR and the BMW and bought a dirtbike to ride offroad and to do motard trackdays….and I’m a much happier person.
I did not know that you went down on the RT, glad you are okay dude....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
CasterTroy

Thanks.....yeah I hit gravel rounding a curve up on Mt Rogers near Damascus VA on a Shady run
Old 02-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I'll give you 2k for your busa
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #28
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I started on a Ninja 500... it was great and I packed a bunch of miles on it. upgraded to the Ninja 9R. Loved that bike and I grew more with it. Grew in skills and in danger.

nearly every weekend I would go out into the twistys with friends... pushing it harder and harder. Doing insane speeds thru corners marked at 25-30mph. Then to top that, I got to really like high end speeds on highways. Doing 125+ thru traffic, splittin lanes, etc. Riding home from Toledo bike night to my house in Flint... a 2hour drive in an hour or less.

I would do all the above and then get home and it would start to bother me. Those few mins of fun could cause a lifetime of headache.

Tried to go slower but it didn't work. So I knew I would have to sell the sportbike and go to something else. Looked at bunch of things and loved choppers so that's the way I went.

Later switching over to my HDs for touring and still have the nightster for around town coolness. Each switch I did I have gotten happier. I think my Ultra has been the best yet. It has taken me to such great places, meet super people, and allows me to put on lots of miles. I love it.

What are you thinking of switching to Racedoll?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
What are you thinking of switching to Racedoll?
I am not planning on switching to anything. The thought came up because Erik bought a dual sport last fall and seems to enjoy it more than the sport bike. He is very excited about riding again, which is good. I know several on here also switched and wanted to hear/read why. After all, this is a motorcycle forum

There are some good stories that go along with switching. Very interesting reading!
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Am I the only sportbike rider who doesnt feel the need to go as fast as humanly possible to enjoy myself on the street?

All you guys say you need to push it to have fun on a sportbike or you feel like your wasting the bike's potential.

Maybe bc i dont have the great riding roads closer to me and NJ is flat as a 12 year old girl?

Everytim I go down south I fall in love with my bike all over again.