Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #31
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Maybe outside work, or behind closed doors (which I already said). But you get a CEO of a large company on TV or in a large meeting, and they're not going to be swearing or telling dirty jokes. They have to be polished or else they never would have gotten where they are. Especially if it's a public company, where he could be eliminated in the blink of an eye.
Do you live in an alternate universe?

Some of the most high up and successful people I have ever worked with or for, were some of the most uncouth disgusting assholes who ever walked the planet. Their public "client" face may have been polished and professional, but as far as in the office, including not behind closed doors, with the folks they worked with, it was no holds barred. Behavior, language, etc only matter with the clients, and they can treat everyone else like crap or speak to people in whatever way they want. After all, who's going to believe an employee over a CEO?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Do you live in an alternate universe?

Some of the most high up and successful people I have ever worked with or for, were some of the most uncouth disgusting assholes who ever walked the planet. Their public "client" face may have been polished and professional, but as far as in the office, including not behind closed doors, with the folks they worked with, it was no holds barred. Behavior, language, etc only matter with the clients, and they can treat everyone else like crap or speak to people in whatever way they want. After all, who's going to believe an employee over a CEO?
Ed Zachary.

As I started dealing more and more with the executives I started seeing more and more of this stuff... For the past couple years my exposure to that level has been significant, I am no longer surprised when attending f-bomb ladden meetings and whatnot.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

^ That might be true for the owner of a company who started the place from ground up, but not for someone who worked their way up.

All I'm saying is, people who don't act professionally usually don't get promoted. At least not at a large office-bound company like Kraft, Hewlett-Packard, or Procter & Gamble. At places like that it's less about what you know, and more about how you act.

Last edited by Homeslice; 08-04-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #34
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I see what the problem is here. You live on the West Coast.

In this alternate universe, called The South, there's this thing called a Good Ole Boys Club. If you're a member you can pretty much get whatever job you want, talk to folks however you want and be the biggest dick you want to be and it's okay. Because you're daddy knows your boss, who's your momma's second cousin and you went to school with some of the other assholes you work with. Those you dont know, arent related to and arent in "good" with the boss dont matter, they aren't from around here and you can do whatever you want because they arent members of your club.

Alternately, good old ole boys club aside, most of these "professional" execs you are enamored with got to where they are by stepping on the backs of folks below them. They know how to play the game better and make themselves look golden, so they can behave in a douchey manner and not have any repercussions, because when the bosses are looking (if they arent already the boss) they are on their best behavior.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
^ That might be true for the owner of a company who started the place from ground up, but not for someone who worked their way up.

All I'm saying is, people who don't act professionally usually don't get promoted. At least not at a large office-bound company like Kraft, Hewlett-Packard, or Procter & Gamble. At places like that it's less about what you know, and more about how you act.
You act professionally until you've earned enough title/experience to act otherwise. It's the same everywhere. True story - one of my first experiences with executives was with a VP of some sort from Sherwin Williams... the client contact was always super professional, but when this guy came to visit - he's all f-bombs and sex jokes. At 21 years old, I was BLOWN AWAY.

Out of all of the many interactions I've had... I'll tell you, the guy from Disney was the worst! Every other word was 'fuck' and he CONSTANTLY badmouthed Disney... And he had been there for 20+ years.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #36
shmike
Follower

Quote:

In this alternate universe, called The South, there's this thing called a Good Ole Boys Club. If you're a member you can pretty much get whatever job you want, talk to folks however you want and be the biggest dick you want to be and it's okay. Because you're daddy knows your boss, who's your momma's second cousin and you went to school with some of the other assholes you work with. Those you dont know, arent related to and arent in "good" with the boss dont matter, they aren't from around here and you can do whatever you want because they arent members of your club.

Alternately, good old ole boys club aside, most of these "professional" execs you are enamored with got to where they are by stepping on the backs of folks below them. They know how to play the game better and make themselves look golden, so they can behave in a douchey manner and not have any repercussions, because when the bosses are looking (if they arent already the boss) they are on their best behavior.
That is part of it.

I have been out partying in NYC and Chicago with high level execs ad have seen the same thing. The corporate meeting is all suit and tie stuffy and then we'd hit the town.

OSP mentioned it earlier. If you are hanging out with Accounting or HR maybe they are all stuffy all the time.

Hang out with the VP of marketing / sales / new accounts / etc. and you'd better plan for a long night of f-bombs and whores.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #37
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:

I've seen it with west coast, mid west, and east coast companies. It doesn't matter. Once you've proved your worth and paid your dues, you can drop f-bombs with the big boys.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #38
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
That is part of it.

I have been out partying in NYC and Chicago with high level execs ad have seen the same thing. The corporate meeting is all suit and tie stuffy and then we'd hit the town.

OSP mentioned it earlier. If you are hanging out with Accounting or HR maybe they are all stuffy all the time.

Hang out with the VP of marketing / sales / new accounts / etc. and you'd better plan for a long night of f-bombs and whores.
Marketing not so much in my experience... For some reason they are relatively stuffy as well... Now the sales and business development guys...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #39
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Marketing has to be stuffy, because they rarely help the bottom line like salespeople do. Therefore they have to use other ways to protect themselves from getting axed.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote