Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Old tires a threat

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/aged...hazard-4826897
Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

right at 5:00 mins proves the tire manufacturers association is a bunch of FUCKTARDS. its no big secret that tires do go bad after a period of time, just like everything else. our motorcycling world has known this for a LONG ASS time.

Last edited by BobTheBiker; 02-09-2010 at 06:27 AM..
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

not according to the darkside guys one dude was claiming 100,000 mile range on one rear
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
not according to the darkside guys one dude was claiming 100,000 mile range on one rear
Sounds somewhat realistic depending on the tire and the size, weight and riding style of the bike and rider. Get one of those super long lasting tires that wont wear out for 70k mi and pussy foot or dont turn and it may just last about 100k mi.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

The front I crashed my Buell on was installed at the factory, delivered to the dealer in Feb 07, ridden for 6 miles, and then stored with the bike until I bought it in July 09. I knew it was stale as shit and it almost killed me.

For comparison the new BT021 on my ZX6 is a better, more consistent tire than the stale year and a half old Pirelli Corsa 3 that lowsided my ass into 6 months of pain.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Maybe for bikes, but for cars it's not a big deal. Right now I have some tires that are 10 years old with somewhere between 40-50K miles on them, and they grip just fine. BTW vid doesn't work.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Maybe for bikes, but for cars it's not a big deal. Right now I have some tires that are 10 years old with somewhere between 40-50K miles on them, and they grip just fine. BTW vid doesn't work.
Yes it grips fine but what they are talking about is the tire coming apart. At that point it doesn't grip anymore.

I don't like the fact that they kept showing highway tractor tires on the side of the road. It was like they were trying to say they were car tires when clearly they were not.

I do believe that they can come apart. And a tread can last longer then the tire itself can but if the tire goes then the tread doesn't mean shit.

I have tossed tires with that were still above the wear bar because of dry rot.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
video worked for me.

the issue brought up with car tires wasnt grip, its that they can come apart in normal driving situations.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I don't like the fact that they kept showing highway tractor tires on the side of the road. It was like they were trying to say they were car tires when clearly they were not.
I didn't like that either. The fact that they gave no statistics demonstrating frequency of accidents due to this issue wasn't encouraging. If these accidents occurred with anywhere near the frequency the report implied you also would think they could have found some real life survivors to sit in front of the camera and recount their horrific ordeal. That they only used one possible case to demonstrate their was a problem while laying no foundation for the event in question (how was the van loaded, what condition were the tires in, how many miles did the tires have) doesn't sit well with me. I believe they stated in the video that the tires were 4 years old when purchased and 9 years old at the time of the accident. For the average American passenger vehicle that would equate to around 75k miles on the tires at the time of the accident.

Maybe old tires are the problem the report makes it out to be, but the shitty reporting calls that contention in to question for me.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I didn't like that either. The fact that they gave no statistics demonstrating frequency of accidents due to this issue wasn't encouraging. If these accidents occurred with anywhere near the frequency the report implied you also would think they could have found some real life survivors to sit in front of the camera and recount their horrific ordeal. That they only used one possible case to demonstrate their was a problem while laying no foundation for the event in question (how was the van loaded, what condition were the tires in, how many miles did the tires have) doesn't sit well with me. I believe they stated in the video that the tires were 4 years old when purchased and 9 years old at the time of the accident. For the average American passenger vehicle that would equate to around 75k miles on the tires at the time of the accident.

Maybe old tires are the problem the report makes it out to be, but the shitty reporting calls that contention in to question for me.
Yes they could have given more info, and it would have been nice to see pics of the other tires since they showed pics of the van.

Tires that are 4 years old should fine for a trip.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote