Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

OSP... great write up. Its funny how much people say about HDs when they really know nothing about them. What year was that Ultra? If its pre 2009, you would really like the 2009 + . A whole new frame to make it much more agile and nuetral. The bike will stand straight up with no lean, very well balanced. The new brembo brakes with optional abs (Ihave) are great for stopping. Especially like you said when you're most of the time over a half ton. The bike alone weights in at like 970#.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Welcome back, OSP!

GREAT write up. I am a BIG fan of the Ultra, it is definitely a machine that can help the non-believers "get it."

I'm glad to see you enjoyed the hog. My dad has the exact Ultra you have pictured. Once you learn to drag the rear brake, slow speed manuevers are a cinch.
Very true on the rear brake... that is a must on any big cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Oh, speaking of bikes that can change the opinion of HD... There's an article in one of the more recent issues of Motorcyclist where Jack Lewis admits to hating HD prior to riding a Road King, which he ends up loving. If I were to get an HD, it would probably be a Road King.
I love RKs. They are a great middle ground touring bike. Doesn't have all the greatness of that large fairing, stereo, etc. But you can still pack in the side bags and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I love the Road King. Especially the Classic with the leather bags and white wall tires.

After spending 10 days aboard an Ultra touring the Western US it is nice to have the hard bags and the extra storage. When we ride my old man's bike, the wife loves the rear seat/arm rests/etc.

For me or local jaunts, I'd take the Road King. For two-up or touring I'd go Ultra every time.
You can get the RK with the hard side bags. Hell if you want to spend the $$ you can put on a quick disconnected tourpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Nice to see you able to ride again. And wonderful write up. I really like the Ultra Classic. Gas Man's is gorgeous...especially with the trunk off. I absolutely considered buying one...but not now, with what HD did to my beloved Buell.
Why thank you sir. I love the no tourpack look

But when it comes to haulin around a gal and more stuff... can't beat that huge tourpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Welcome back to the two-wheeled world.

I'd owned a new AMF Sporty way back in the when for a VERY short period of time as it was prone to fragging gearboxes, blowing off carbs during startup and shaking and shedding parts non-stop, so my opinion of Harleys had been very low. Then I picked up an 05 1200 Sporty a couple years ago and was really impressed with both the overall build quality and the way the bike ran. I rode it pretty much all summer (But still sold it, just like everything else but the Bimota).

They are nice bikes.....
You should check out a post 2007 Sporty. The FI, tweaked frame, better mouting on the motor, and wider rear tire did huge improvements to their old models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Ha we are old! I had an AMF Sporty too and after I broke down for the third time in 6 months, I traded it for the 1200 Sporty and it broke within 1,000 miles...Old Mr Barnett, let me trade it in for a '81 Yamaha Seca 750. A couple more Yamaha standards/cruisers and then I got my '88 V-Max....I was done with Harley, I don't know if I'll ever go back.

I'm glad you're riding again Zach! I still want you to come visit even if we're not going whoring....
Both of you should really reformulate your opinion on a newer HD. Much like the American cars, they have come real far in the last couple years.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Oh trust me, I understand that HD makes a much better bike these days but to be honest, I don't see any real reason to come back... No offense to the Ultra but I'd imagine that the Goldwing or another big touring bike is just as good. I don't know but I'd have a hard time choosing a Sportster 1200 over a M109R, for example. Maybe a V-Rod... but of course that's not really a Harley any more than the new Buells were.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #33
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

I hear ya. But have you ever even sat on a goldwing? Way different. Not as different as say my Ultra compared to say Trips Beemer. But different.

My BIL wants a touring bike on his next one. big and comfy. He said my floor boards aren't forward enough. He kept saying goldwing here he comes. He sat on one... NOPE. Worse with no chance of modification where as the HD you can move em forward a bit.

And yes the Vroads are really sweet. But true... not really intergrated well into the rest of the lineup. Kinda sits out there as something different. But I love em! but I admit, I'm not the normal hd owner.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I hear ya. But have you ever even sat on a goldwing? Way different. Not as different as say my Ultra compared to say Trips Beemer. But different.

My BIL wants a touring bike on his next one. big and comfy. He said my floor boards aren't forward enough. He kept saying goldwing here he comes. He sat on one... NOPE. Worse with no chance of modification where as the HD you can move em forward a bit.

And yes the Vroads are really sweet. But true... not really intergrated well into the rest of the lineup. Kinda sits out there as something different. But I love em! but I admit, I'm not the normal hd owner.
You're probably right. My main problem is I'm VERY brand loyal! I rode Harleys until they completely pissed me off and then Yamahas until I got two lemons in a row and now I'm on my 7th Suzuki and (knock on wood) I've had absolutely zero mechanical problems and that's the truth! I know people want to throw up a bunch of negativity about frames or whatever but I've never had that problem and I've never personally known anyone who had a frame "fall apart" as the rumor has it. Shit, I'm on three GSXR type forums and I've never even seen a first hand report of a frame problem.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

I hear ya. I'm the same way. Maybe its a michigan boy thing?

Run Amsoil Product
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I hear ya. I'm the same way. Maybe its a michigan boy thing?
Could be! All my cars/trucks have been GM and all my bikes, including ATVs and Dirt have been Suzuki for the last decade or so. I would have been going on 25 years or so with Yamaha but they fucked up!!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #37
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Really... GM... I didn't see you as a GM guy.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Really... GM... I didn't see you as a GM guy.
Yep, every car that I've ever owned minus 5 (Alfa Romero, RX7, Mustang, Dodge Daytona (pos), crappy Porsche 924) have been GM, mostly Chevy trucks and Pontiac cars.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #39
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

I'm sure you have noticed a significant improvement over the years on your GM cars.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #40
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
OSP... great write up. Its funny how much people say about HDs when they really know nothing about them. What year was that Ultra? If its pre 2009, you would really like the 2009 + . A whole new frame to make it much more agile and nuetral. The bike will stand straight up with no lean, very well balanced. The new brembo brakes with optional abs (Ihave) are great for stopping. Especially like you said when you're most of the time over a half ton. The bike alone weights in at like 970#. .
It was an '04 I think... Looked IDENTICAL to the one I had in the pic except it had fringe hanging from the levers and laced wheels. I read about the upgrades on the new Electra's when the bike rags were swooning over them. Honestly though, as long as I had that 6th gear I would have been real happy with the one I rode.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote