Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS
Default When to slow down

I been thinking a lot about this lately. Specifically with risk and enjoyment factor. When I got into riding, all I wanted to do was "go fast" just like Ricky Bobby. Constantly working on body position and better lines. I've done the whole knee down thing and never really enjoyed the track. It was ok, but it wasn't a true addiction like it is to some people. I prefered street always. Just the travel and scenery as opposed the same thing over and over again. And I am a cheap son of a bitch, so the cost vs enjoyment was never really there. Although even at the gap, I would just end up watching the idiots more than riding the road.

This was in the back of my mind the entire rally. I ended up leading a lot of rides and ran a decent pace for others to follow, but the enjoyment of running at the speeds was no longer there. It's not that it wasn't comfortable speeds for me, I was taking it easy 95% of the time and well in my comfort zone, but just talking with others who were riding slower and enjoying the area I missed a lot of what was off the road. I ended up riding mid pack up to the gap and had a blast taking it very easy and just enjoying the ride and the surroundings.

As most of you know, I am fixing up the 600rr to sell it. I think it is time to move on from sportbikes. They aren't really comfortable on slow rides and suck for packing for trips. I am looking more into the adventure tourer realm. Something I can just take up the gravel/dirt roads a new found hobby after buying the DRZ.

I been talking with a few other members about it and they seem to be moving in the same direction. As well as a few locals. I don't think it's the risk that worries me as much, because I ran the gap as fast I have ever run it this weekend, but it just wasn't fun. It was more like ego pushing me to run it at those speeds. Again I wasn't riding at a speed I hadn't been accustom to or pushing it beyond my means. I use to ride at those speeds cause it was fun, not for "hey look how fast I am" type of thing. I made about 3 passes all day yesterday on a clean road empty of cops. My normal on a full day like that would be high teens if not more. I don't know, I don't know if it is time to just hang up the race helmet and pick up a DS one or just take a break from it.

Gas, what do you think? I know you came to this same choice when you made the move to big dog. What was your whole decision process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

If your hearts not in it, there is no reason to keep doing it. Youd be better off finding a new type of bike that will make you enjoy riding again. If you stick with sportbikes, itd be like continuing to date a girl that you dont want to be with, you wont be happy until you find something new.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I notice that in the past year or so I've changed my riding style as well.

For me it depends who I'm with. I ride differently depending on the group and that dictates the speed of the ride. When I'm out with a certain group of boys it's balls to the wall and I'll admit I get a thrill from the speed of that. But I've noticed that I hardly go out to those rides anymore.

I prefer to meander along at my own pace now. It's not that I can't ride at those speeds, it's not that I can't keep up....it's that I don't necessarily want to. I'll rail in the corners but when it comes to straights I just can't be bothered anymore.

Doesn't help that 50 over the speed limit up here is an automatic racing ticket and license suspension.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Ill just say I should have bought the buell lightning, not the firebolt...

Tells you where I'm at with riding.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Just add Geritol to your diet, and get some depends in case you shit yourself in a tough turn.

[shakes head]

...Old folks...sheesh.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

You know I'm right there with ya man. Wasnt it nice to see that waterfall? And smell the jasmine blooming? And stop to admire the mountains?

I feel sad that its not the rush and thrill it used to be, but at the same time, its not like we're quitting riding altogether. Im thinking of it more as an evolution. (That or like I said in my other thread, Im just getting old. )
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Just add Geritol to your diet, and get some depends in case you shit yourself in a tough turn.

[shakes head]

...Old folks...sheesh.
I still got the DRZ to ride like a fuckin hooligan. It's more fun to me than the CBARRR is. Could always motard it out. If I get the itch again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
You know I'm right there with ya man. Wasnt it nice to see that waterfall? And smell the jasmine blooming? And stop to admire the mountains?

I feel sad that its not the rush and thrill it used to be, but at the same time, its not like we're quitting riding altogether. Im thinking of it more as an evolution. (That or like I said in my other thread, Im just getting old. )
You missed out on the ride me and ebbs took on the way down to Suches. We took an easy pace and it was freakin amazing to see all that crap. I just don't have the bike to take rides like that all the time, I would be wore out from a long ride like that on a normal basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

I know where you are coming from Trip. When I bought my gixxer I was having a hard time deciding if a full sport bike was that way to go. My next bike may be in the way of a Super Duke, or something of that nature. I want something that I can be a hooligan on from time to time. Maybe a SM or something.

As a lot of you know I struggled with the decision last year on what to buy. Be assured though.. You will NEVER see me buy a cruiser.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Damn, sounds like it's time to change this place to Wheelchair Fix!

I know where you guys are coming from, but I'm nowhere close to it yet. I still love setting faster laps on the track and the competition of it all. And I definitely still enjoy a brisk pace through some twisty mountain roads.

But you can bet the day I stop enjoying it is the day I slow down and/or change what I ride. That's what we're all out here for is to do what we enjoy.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I know where you guys are coming from, but I'm nowhere close to it yet. I still love setting faster laps on the track and the competition of it all.

I've yet to try the track but can't wait! I have a feeling I'm going to love it!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote