Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 10-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS
Default Adv Tourer Demo

Well, I really been thinking about selling the 600rr and getting something like a used DRZ SM for screwing off on and a more two up capable bike like an adv tourer, so A and I took a little trip down to our local BMW/Ducati/KTM/Triumph dealer today. We didnt bring a camera, so no pics of us on the bikes.

First up

1200 GS:

It really didn't have much grunt to it, but was really smooth getting on the throttle. It really left me wanting a lot more on the low end like the 1150 has. However, the ride was supremely perfect. It was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden on the street. A fit on the back fine and I could barely tell she was back there. The bike we demoed even had a grill Fatburg would be proud of and it had a back rest for A and she said that is a must if we get a bike like this. This would be a fun bike for touring and I could see us taking a lot of long trips with it.

990 Adventure:

This was a ugly mofo. It was a bit nicer down low. The demo bike had been setup with every performance accessory they could throw at it. It had WP suspension, brembo brakes and god knows what else on it. It wasn't nearly as comfortable, but would be a lot more fun out on the trails. One downside was it was tall and a big pain in the ass for me to get on let alone A climbing over me to get on the back. A had a grill on this to lean back on as well.

I wanted to demo a tiger, but they didn't have any for demo. I really wanted to sit on the 800GS again, but they didn't even have any in stock and sold the only one they got in and don't know when they will get more. Ah well....

Bonus, I demoed this last without A on the back:

thumbs up is right, good lord was this a hooligan bike. I will eventually own one of these, that is all. I blew my load of happiness for the next ten years while riding this bike. Let's say I was very squidly while riding it and I was in full gear. Icy hot baby, icy hawt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 06-19-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I have yet to hear someone hate on the Hyper after they ride it.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I have yet to hear someone hate on the Hyper after they ride it.
yeah it made me hate my 600 for sure. I am just tired of the 600. I accomplished what I wanted out of it and now want to move on to something else, not like a liter bike, but a different type of bike. I don't really want to race and not really a track addict with the gap in my backyard, so I need to find something else to get me riding more again.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

I hear ya. Ditch that RR and buy the Hyper. I really wanna ride one.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

The other thing about the 1200 is it's FUCKING HEAVY... in long way down and long way round... Euan and Charlie BOTH were needed to pick it up if they went down... just something to think about.

also if it's long trips... check the range... I think they're both about 200miles though...

I'm thinking if you don't like the 1200's power... the 800 isn't gonna thrill you much either
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

The hyper is the opposite of a long trip bike. Very short range.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I'm thinking if you don't like the 1200's power... the 800 isn't gonna thrill you much either
The 800 would be a more trail capable bike because it's a LOT lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
The hyper is the opposite of a long trip bike. Very short range.
yeah I am not in the position to buy a hyper right now because I am in the market for two bikes, with one being a long tripper. I will probably end up with something like a DRZ SM as the second bike.
Quote:
Old 10-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

yeah I am not in the position to buy a hyper right now because I am in the market for two bikes, with one being a long tripper. I will probably end up with something like a DRZ SM as the second bike.
Motorcyclist had a decent write up on a DRZ SM last issue. Made me want one.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

but how does it compare to the KTM? I think the KTM would be the better all around choice... especially for long trips with A... and a grill and the refrigerator and freezer on either side.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Doesn't Fnfalman have a KTM adventure.?

Quote: