Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1
Default Suspension ??

noticed on this bike that i have no chicken strips on a 190 rear, but like half an inch on the front, so i assume that i need to raise the forks a little in the front, BUT does it really matter that i'm not using all the front tire, it doesnt turn in very quick, but i like the way it handles,

also does anybody know how i should set up the front suspension for my weight? its set at stock now, but i weight 215 or so, everybody that i know says i need to stiffen it WAY up?

gonna put a zip tie around the front forks and see if i'm bottoming out the front forks, any other suggestions? oh and if i am bottoming them out, what do i need to adjust?

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Take it to wheelers, he will set it up completely for like $25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Take it to wheelers, he will set it up completely for like $25
where's that

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhaw View Post
where's that
near robbinsville close to the gap. If you are at the gap, head down 129 and it's on the right, right before you get to robbinsville. It's a blue garage. Ken Wheeler is pretty freakin cool dude too.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhaw View Post
noticed on this bike that i have no chicken strips on a 190 rear, but like half an inch on the front, so i assume that i need to raise the forks a little in the front, BUT does it really matter that i'm not using all the front tire, it doesnt turn in very quick, but i like the way it handles,

also does anybody know how i should set up the front suspension for my weight? its set at stock now, but i weight 215 or so, everybody that i know says i need to stiffen it WAY up?

gonna put a zip tie around the front forks and see if i'm bottoming out the front forks, any other suggestions? oh and if i am bottoming them out, what do i need to adjust?
If you can't make it to wheelers, the first thing is to figure out if your springs are stiff enough. But it depends on your riding style, and the size of bumps in the road. The goal is to use almost all of the travel over the biggest bumps, You don't want to bottom out though. You can increase pre-load on the springs up to the point you can't get it to the unloaded sag spec for the bike. if it still needs more preload, you need a stiffer spring. Once you have a spring setting you use the damper to dampen out the spring. So if you have a stiffer spring, you'll need to up the damping a like amount or there abouts.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Size of your chicken strips has little to do with suspension...More to do with how you ride, body positioning. You can take the strips off completely with a wrong suspension setup.

Find someone who knows what their doing, have them set your sag (springpreload), then the compression damping, then the rebound per your personal feelings/preferences. Then ride. I bet the strips stay the same.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Yea I replaced the springs on my bike because I weigh 245 lbs and the the bike is set-up for a 160 lb rider. The rear is the most important and easiest to do. Race Tech will sell you a new spring for about $100. The forks suck to do if you don't have the right tools/experience. I would get a rear spring for your weight and set the sag and call it good if I were you.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
near robbinsville close to the gap. If you are at the gap, head down 129 and it's on the right, right before you get to robbinsville. It's a blue garage. Ken Wheeler is pretty freakin cool dude too.

Hey Trip,when we go to the Gap,I'd like to stop there to have Wheeler double check my settings. Should I make an appointment and if so,do you have the number handy? It's been YEARS since I've been by there,is it the same guys running it all this time?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hey Trip,when we go to the Gap,I'd like to stop there to have Wheeler double check my settings. Should I make an appointment and if so,do you have the number handy? It's been YEARS since I've been by there,is it the same guys running it all this time?
it's first come first serve

it's one guy, ken wheeler
Quote:
Old 03-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Hmmm....I know there's probably not much that can be done to my bike, but it would be cool if he'd look at it at least. Tigger, I'll race you to him!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote