Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Throttle WAS stuck

Rode the bike over the weekend, and the throttle was sticking, it worked great for riding, sorta like cruise control, but sucks for riding because the gas is always on. My first thought was that the bar was bent (dealt with that mess before), or possibly something broken.

Anyway Took the right side of the bar apart tonight, was hoping that just taking it apart would solve it, but it didnt. I had to clean the bar and the plastic tube out pretty good, they were both covered in black gook. I think when I lubed the cables last fall some lube found its way into the throttle housing and finally turned solid enough that it stuck. Put it all back together and its fine now, just goes to show that not all fixes have to cost an arm and a leg.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Sounds like if you didn't fuck up in the first place, it wouldn't of needed to be fixed. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Sticking throttle = dangerous situation for sure

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sounds like if you didn't fuck up in the first place, it wouldn't of needed to be fixed. LOL

Yeh I think it just took some time to get enough dirt to finally make it stick
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Ive found that before on people's bikes.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Sticking throttle = dangerous situation for sure
This I know firsthand, as I had a throttle stick at the worst possible moment once on the GSP at about 70mph one night, about 6 years ago.

I had blipped the throttle to downshift hard, as someone had just cut across two lanes, and closed the door on me really badly, just as I was approaching from the rear, and I now found myself running up someone's ass...and swiftly...unable to pass, and avoid the inexplicable gathering cluster of morons I was now being forcibly swept into.

Now, mind you; I'm down a gear, and I'm WOT. Fanfuckingtastic.

I didn't know I could do a sliding 70 mph nose wheelie. Neat. While managing to shut the throttle down too. Hmmm. Bonus.

That was shit, however, compared the the death wobble, when it came back down. Great. Now I know it's about to get really interesting.

Presence of mind and lightning intuitive reflex somehow saved me, as I stomped the rear brake in the middle of the oscillation exactly 1.5 wobbles in, and miraculously stopped it, dead (no way I could do any such things if I tried on purpose, as I'd surely fucking kill myself...I can't even do a proper wheelie).

I casually put my turn signal on, and passed the rolling roadblocks that had tried to kill me without a flinch.

When I got to NYC, I found that the incident had weakened my cargo net, and my bag, with all my documents, and my Macbook, was missing.

Again, instinctively, I backtracked and found my shit like I had a fucking homing signal, turning around at the exact block I needed to, and finding my bag in the second lane from the right on the West Side Highway. With NYC traffic steaming up from behind me as the light in my rearview went green, I hit the brakes immediately in front of my bag, and prayed I didn't get rear ended.

I bent down, and scooped up my bag, and rode up on to the sidewalk immediately at the first available curb cut, where I collapsed on the sidewalk to asses the damage.

My Macbook looked like a composition book someone had left in the rain.

My toiletries were shattered, and my documents soaked, but otherwise intact.

When I got to the hotel, I poured myself a hot bath, and only once inside did my heart even begin to race as I contemplated my evening.

Waiting to be damn fucking comfortable before you freak the motherfuck out is always best, I find.

What a fucking night.

Yeah...sticky throttle?

Sucks.

Last edited by Avatard; 03-25-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
This I know firsthand, as I had a throttle stick at the worst possible moment once on the GSP at about 70mph one night, about 6 years ago.

I had blipped the throttle to downshift hard, as someone had just cut across two lanes, and closed the door on me really badly, just as I was approaching from the rear, and I now found myself running up someone's ass...and swiftly...unable to pass, and avoid the inexplicable gathering cluster of morons I was now being forcibly swept into.

Now, mind you; I'm down a gear, and I'm WOT. Fanfuckingtastic.

I didn't know I could do a sliding 70 mph nose wheelie. Neat. While managing to shut the throttle down too. Hmmm. Bonus.

That was shit, however, compared the the death wobble, when it came back down. Great. Now I know it's about to get really interesting.

Presence of mind and lightning intuitive reflex somehow saved me, as I stomped the rear brake in the middle of the oscillation exactly 1.5 wobbles in, and miraculously stopped it, dead (no way I could do any such things if I tried on purpose, as I'd surely fucking kill myself...I can't even do a proper wheelie).

I casually put my turn signal on, and passed the rolling roadblocks that had tried to kill me without a flinch.

When I got to NYC, I found that the incident had weakened my cargo net, and my bag, with all my documents, and my Macbook, was missing.

Again, instinctively, I backtracked and found my shit like I had a fucking homing signal, turning around at the exact block I needed to, and finding my bag in the second lane from the right on the West Side Highway. With NYC traffic steaming up from behind me as the light in my rearview went green, I hit the brakes immediately in front of my bag, and prayed I didn't get rear ended.

I bent down, and scooped up my bag, and rode up on to the sidewalk immediately at the first available curb cut, where I collapsed on the sidewalk to asses the damage.

My Macbook looked like a composition book someone had left in the rain.

My toiletries were shattered, and my documents soaked, but otherwise intact.

When I got to the hotel, I poured myself a hot bath, and only once inside did my heart even begin to race as I contemplated my evening.

Waiting to be damn fucking comfortable before you freak the motherfuck out is always best, I find.

What a fucking night.

Yeah...sticky throttle?

Sucks.
Clutch in.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Clutch in.
Right.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Right, clutch in, shut throttle, perform 70 mph sliding nose wheelie, and then save death wobble, in that order.

That's precisely what I did, and thank goodness I didn't need to think about it.

It just happened. I'm glad my reflexes are good.

Couldn't do even half that shit "on purpose".
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Not to get all fucking cosmic on you and shit, but for what it's worth, I don't think I was actually "meant" to pull all of that miracle fucking ninja shit outta my ass that night either, because my life went to absolute and total shit afterwards, seven different fucking ways.

I don't think I was supposed to make it.