Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Tire help needed, I'm lost looking at them

HELP!

I've been studying tires for a week now, and I am more lost than ever. What I want is a knobbie that lasts 10,000 miles. Knowing that I will never find one...

90% of my riding is on road, with most of my miles being done on either superspab or twisties. But I have grand plans this summer to do the trans NJ trail, the trans WV trail, plus a trip down to NC, and a few other smaller trips. I expect to do about 10k this year on the KLR.

What I want is a knobbie, what I need is a street biased dual sport tire.

I've been looking at the:

Avon Distanza
Conti TKC80 (what kind of life from a knobbie 6k mi?)
Michelin Anakee 2
Pirelli MT90 (cant find the right sized rear damn it! will a 120 work?)
Gripsters (what I have now, looking for a little more off roading ability, but it really is good in the corners)
Enduro 3 Sahara (good tire but has short life span)
Tourances (yay except for price)
Conti escape (yay except for price)
D606 (knobbie, good price, low mileage)

Like I said I have been searching and searching trying to find something that makes one tire stick out over the others and I'm just not really seeing it. Money isn't too much of an issue (I dont want to spend buku bucks on a tire that wont last long) but it is a factor.

I guess I'm just looking to be steered in the right direction, I really like the idea of the MT90 but that 120 vs 130 is my concern. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

You're not getting any help from either forum are you?

Good luck! I'd have to look at the tread patterns to make a better guess but, one of the patterns that has a deep, wide gap between the treads but, still maintains a rounded profile like everything was carved out of a donut instead of the treads being stuck on said donut like on the D606 would be best but, I'm not sure which ones fit that best without looking at each one. I have the Gripsters and I've never had any problem with them on any surface including deep mud.
I generally keep my tire oriented towards the street since falling down off-road while potentially dangerous, usually doesn't result in something large running over me!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

My vote would be for the D606. They work plenty fine on the street. You'll wear them out quick, but they're cheap & easy to replace, especially if you're spooning on your own tires. I'd rather give up some mileage and corner carving ability than be squirreling around in the dirt on street tires.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
You're not getting any help from either forum are you?

I think I posted the same post in 5 different forums, and all have given slightly different answers