Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Oh really now.....very interesting.
Yeah, I got tired of paying them $80 to reset my service reminder and check fault codes for me. I plan on getting more BMWs, so I just decided to get one. They will probably change the hookup now that I got one though. LOL
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

The thing with your BMW is probably the biggest reason why I don't buy a Ducati.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I still take my BMW in for service. I don't like messing with the BMW computer stuff. Like messing with the brakes is a pain in the ass with the ABS and all that. So I let them do it. My local BMW dealer in Knoxville and Chattanooga are both real well known reliable dealers for service though.

I won't bring in a bike that I can do the service myself though. I do most everything on the BMW that isn't computer related and do some of the computer stuff now that I have a GS911.
Yeah for my HD ABS you can't bleed the brakes without their tech computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
HD may not allow it on a HD bike. Bring them something that doesn't say HD on it and they care more about they shit they just flushed.
Had more issues with my Buell. Some of it was plain ignorance since they had never done "x" on that bike before. (I bought the first one, and put on the most miles) But even plastic being put on incorrectly and fasteners forgotten got kind of annoying.
I think that is also a particular HD dealer issue. Hopefully those asshats would get weeded out.

That stuff don't fly in this area, too much competition.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
The thing with your BMW is probably the biggest reason why I don't buy a Ducati.
Ducati mechanics have everyone fooled. I'm convinced the people who complain the loudest about Ducati maintenance have never turned a wrench on one.

I rebuilt one from the inside out, and while it was a little more intensive than a Japanese motorcycle, it was by no means *difficult* to work on.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Dropped the oil level a bit and put the body work back on properly.
Looks like oil changes are going to be a breeze on this thing.
4 bolts, off pops the lower. Putting it back on was a bit of a pain (origami bodywork and a couple of tabs) but its not that bad.

I think I need some new allen keys since the once I own have a stupid rounded end on the long part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
4 bolts, off pops the lower. Putting it back on was a bit of a pain (origami bodywork and a couple of tabs) but its not that bad.

I think I need some new allen keys since the once I own have a stupid rounded end on the long part.
its always a learning curve withthe bodywork, the aprilia was the worst. The mid and lwer had to come off and it took me a while to get good at lining them up when reassembling them. The triumph is a breeze, filters on th ebottom of th emotor, so no plastics have to be touched.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Kawi Engineers on my bike thought it would be fun to put the Oil filter in the worst spot in the world...But i dont have to take my fairings and I got the right tool for the job now after FUCKING up my old filter.

Agreed with you...Screw Dealerships. There labor rates are ridiculous. My buddy took his bike to get the fork seals done...the labor cost more than the parts.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Kawi Engineers on my bike thought it would be fun to put the Oil filter in the worst spot in the world...But i dont have to take my fairings and I got the right tool for the job now after FUCKING up my old filter.

Agreed with you...Screw Dealerships. There labor rates are ridiculous. My buddy took his bike to get the fork seals done...the labor cost more than the parts.
I had an 06 ZX-10R, the oil filter was wedged between the header pipes and the engine. I used to make a trough out of aluminum foil to catch the oil and direct it around the headers.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I'll have to snap a Picture to show you where mine is...It's on the Left side of the Engine between the cutout on the left side fairing.

It's just mashed in between radiator tubes and wiring and a whole bunch of shit so
leverage is hard to come by trying to get it off.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

Dzus ftw!

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote