Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR
Default Handlebars

I noticed yesterday that my bars are not right for me. They need to be angled more forward and a little higher wouldn't hurt either. I was just out looking at them and there is only one bolt holding them clamped on each end. There is also a small tit that locates them for the angle. Would I be making a mistake if I ground that tit off so I could change the angle on them? I wouldn't ask but, these have only one clamp bolt per side whereas my old bikes have had two. The tit is so little that I hoestly can't see it doing much. ??? HELP!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

No one has an opinion on this? Would you like to see a pic of what I am talking about?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Can you just swap them side to side? Seems like that may be a simple solution if possible.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

My CBR also has just one pinch bolt per handlebar. Plus it has a bolt that locates the bar to someone who lives in Osaka. I had my bike two days before I took out the locating bolt, raised the bars 3/4 inch and turned them out about two inches. Then I tightened the pinch bolt. I think the small tit on yours is to make the handlebars even side to side, but you can do it by measuring.

Don't raise them too much or you'll come off the fork tube. Plus the cables may be stretched. I know that Genmar makes risers as do others.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

My bars are below the upper part of the tripple tree. There's no way possible for my bars to come off the bike unless they get broken or you pull the upper plate at the steering stem. This also makes me think that the tit is for centering purposes and not much else. I really don't see how I could be messing up by cutting the tit off. I cannot swap them from side to side either. If I did, they would be pointing upwards the same that they are now pointing down. I just want them angled more straight. I would have to purchase aftermarket ones to be able to raise them, so if I can atleast get them more straight, I'll be fine. They can be moved down roughly 3", but there's no way I want that. I'll try to post a pic when I get home.

I also think that I am going to cut this locating tit off and change the angle on them.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

I haven't had a chance to get out to the building and take any pics but, I am sure that most of you know what I am talking about. Either way, I found these just now and wondered what are your thoughts on them?

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/13952?m=2074&t=1&td=1

Now before I go spending out $130 on some clip-ons, you better believe that I am going to cut the tit off of my stock ones and try that. The biggest difference here is that stock has one clamp bolt and aftermarket has two.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Wouldn't you get the same thing you already have? This is just my opinion, but when I test rode an Aprilia Factory, the low bars made it very difficult to shift my upper-body weight. Actually, it was pretty much impossible. An upright riding position doesn't look as cool, but it makes it much easier for me to throw my bikes around.

Spiegler sells a very expensive handlebar kit for your bike: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm. But if you like to be comfortable when you ride, and you live where there are lots of curves, it would be worth it.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Wouldn't you get the same thing you already have? This is just my opinion, but when I test rode an Aprilia Factory, the low bars made it very difficult to shift my upper-body weight. Actually, it was pretty much impossible. An upright riding position doesn't look as cool, but it makes it much easier for me to throw my bikes around.

Spiegler sells a very expensive handlebar kit for your bike: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm. But if you like to be comfortable when you ride, and you live where there are lots of curves, it would be worth it.

Screw that! hahaha!

Hey my olny concern with "modifying" the stock set-up is that with the single bolt,perhaps the "tit" also helps keep the bars from twisting on the fork.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post

Yeah, I'll look into that when I decide to fighter the bike.........IF it gets laid down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Screw that! hahaha!

Hey my olny concern with "modifying" the stock set-up is that with the single bolt,perhaps the "tit" also helps keep the bars from twisting on the fork.
This is my concern as well. If it were two clamp bolts, then I don't forsee that being a problem. To be honest.....as little as the tit is, I don't see that it could do too much. I think I may be able to just drop the bar down a little to get the tit out of the hole and then degree it how I think I want it to see what it feels like. I may not even like what it is that I think I want.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Here's a pic of what I am talking about. Sorry but it's from my cell.

You can see the little tit that I am talking about just above the split loom tubing. It's slightly smaller than the diameter of a pencil, but I honestly don't think that it can be all that strong. ??? Someone please tell me that it would be a bad idea to remove this before I get all Dremel happy this weekend. I dropped the bars enought to clear the tit and pushed them out to the angle that I want and let me tell you...........That'll be the shit if I do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0326092011.jpg (45.1 KB, 16 views)