Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

View Poll Results: Am I too old for a sportbike?
You're too old, get a cruiser. 2 3.39%
You're too old but get a sportbike anyway. 27 45.76%
You're too old, get a naked/streetfighter/supermoto. 9 15.25%
Yo're old but Taters whore ex-wife will ride on the back of anything. 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Rider
Moto GP Star

Default Too old for a sport bike?

What do you guys think? My wife thinks I look silly on a sportbike and thinks I should get a cruiser. I'm nearly 38 BTW.

Last edited by Rider; 05-30-2008 at 07:53 AM..
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Your wife is a tool. End of story.

(Sorry, no disrespect, but seriously, she wants you to buy a bike based on how she thinks you look on it? Get a grip!! )

There's a guy on our local board who's in his early 70's who still rides sportbikes. Not just rides, but collects and races. He's an incredible rider, and everyone looks up to him; and NO one would ever say he looks "silly" on a sportbike or that he's too old and should get a cruiser.

Get what you love and tell her if she wants a cruiser so badly, she can get one for herself.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Ive seen dudes older than you on a sportbike. If youre still comfortable on one, buy it. Thats the key, I have a buddy who is 23 with pretty bad knees that still cant get comfortable on a sportbike.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

You are never too old to be a hooligan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Fuck that... the only reason OLD people should "graduate" to a non sportbike... is if they can't take the riding position anymore...

there was a guy that lived across the street from me in AK... dude had to be mid 60's... he had a MV Agusta F4, Ducatti 748, and several others that I only saw with out their fairings (two were Ducatti's... the others I couldn't tell)

Reall nice guy but he was really fuck'n shy... though he did come out and talk to me for about 40 mins when I first got my bike out...

but buy what bike your comfortable on... chances are... in 10 years it'll be considered comfortable and relaxed compared to the new line
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Ive seen dudes older than you on a sportbike. If youre still comfortable on one, buy it. Thats the key, I have a buddy who is 23 with pretty bad knees that still cant get comfortable on a sportbike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Fuck that... the only reason OLD people should "graduate" to a non sportbike... is if they can't take the riding position anymore...

there was a guy that lived across the street from me in AK... dude had to be mid 60's... he had a MV Agusta F4, Ducatti 748, and several others that I only saw with out their fairings (two were Ducatti's... the others I couldn't tell)

Reall nice guy but he was really fuck'n shy... though he did come out and talk to me for about 40 mins when I first got my bike out...

but buy what bike your comfortable on... chances are... in 10 years it'll be considered comfortable and relaxed compared to the new line
Well my knees are jacked up and when I first started riding my current bike my knees would ache if I rode for longer than an hour. Now I m used to it and they don't bother me anymore.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

like I said... if it don't bug ya... then fuck it...

bottom line... if you still have the love for the bike... let your BODY tell you your to old... not anything else... fuck everything else
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Audiomechanic
Mobile Post-Whore Unit

Moto: 2000 Honda Magna 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Your wife is a tool. End of story.

(Sorry, no disrespect, but seriously, she wants you to buy a bike based on how she thinks you look on it? Get a grip!! )

There's a guy on our local board who's in his early 70's who still rides sportbikes. Not just rides, but collects and races. He's an incredible rider, and everyone looks up to him; and NO one would ever say he looks "silly" on a sportbike or that he's too old and should get a cruiser.

Get what you love and tell her if she wants a cruiser so badly, she can get one for herself.
Couldn't have said it better!

Seriously though, if you can still ride one, and still want one, go get one. Who cares what you look like. Do what you enjoy.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic View Post
Couldn't have said it better!

Seriously though, if you can still ride one, and still want one, go get one. Who cares what you look like. Do what you enjoy.
That's exactly how I feel. But she wants me to ride with the guys that live in my neighborhood. All of them are my age and all of them ride cruisers. The guys I ride with at work all ride sport bikes buy that are all younger too.

Last edited by Rider; 05-30-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

You're an old bastard. Time to buy a cruiser you old buzzard.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote