Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Came upon a motorcycle crash

I was on top of Lookout Mountain when I saw three sport bikes on the side of the road. There were broken pieces of blue plastic on the road, the same color as one of the bikes. I pulled over and asked if they were OK. The guy who low sided showed me his ripped jeans. The road had a gentle curve and was relatively flat. "How did it happen" I asked.

"I was riding on the side of my bike when it went over" he said. "Do you have any cable ties?"

I looked through my tank bag and all I had were fuses. Then I looked at the damage to his bike. The left side was all scraped, the shift lever bent, and the clutch lever mount was broken just before the pivot. He wanted the tie for his clutch. "Cable tie won't work, you need a hose clamp" I said. A hose clamp could secure the mount to the bar so he could use the clutch lever to get home. Unfortunately there are no stores nearby.

The other two riders wore helmets and jackets, and the crasher said he was going to wear a helmet after this. I offered to ride over to the Lookout and ask some gagers if they had a hose clamp, but they wanted to leave.

I watched one hold the broken clutch bracket to the handlebar, while the rider pulled it in to start the bike. Then he tried to rev it and shift down to first while the broken lever just hung there. The bike stalled. I watched them do this several times and then I left. When I got home, I put two hose clamps and a bunch of cable ties into my tank bag.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote