Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default "At the very last second I said 'elephant!'"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33675514...ws-weird_news/

SUV sideswipes elephant in Oklahoma
Couple OK; giant pachyderm examined for broken tusk, leg injury
The Associated Press
updated 3:41 p.m. ET, Thurs., Nov . 5, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY - It's not unusual to see a deer or a cow crossing Oklahoma's rural highways. But an elephant?

An Oklahoma couple driving home from church nearly slammed into a giant pachyderm that had escaped from a nearby circus late Wednesday.

"Didn't have time to hit the brakes. The elephant blended in with the road," driver Bill Carpenter said Thursday. "At the very last second I said 'elephant!'"

Carpenter, 68, said he swerved his SUV at the last second and ended up sideswiping the 29-year-old female Asian elephant on the highway in Enid, about 80 miles (128 kilometers) north of Oklahoma City.

"So help me Hanna, had I hit that elephant, not swerved, it would have knocked it off its legs, and it would have landed right on top of us," he said. "We'd have been history."

The couple, who own a wheat farm, weren't injured. But the 8-foot (2.4-meter) tall, 4,500-pound (2,040-kilogram) elephant was being examined Thursday for a broken tusk and a leg wound. A local veterinarian said it appeared to have escaped major injury.

Tusk punches metal
The elephant's tusk punched through the side of the Carpenters' SUV, tearing up sheet metal.

After sideswiping the elephant, his wife, Deena, flagged some people down and used their cell phone to call police.

"The dispatcher didn't believe her: 'You hit a what?'" he said. "I told my wife, I don't know whether to cry or laugh."

Enid veterinarian Dr. Dwight Olson said the elephant was hiding in some bushes just off the highway when he arrived shortly after the accident. Handlers from the circus were able to calm it down, and Olson cleaned the leg wound and gave it some pain killer.

The elephant was taken Thursday to the veterinary school at Oklahoma State University for a follow-up exam.

"I don't believe there's a broken bone, but I don't have an X-ray room big enough to examine it," Olson said.

The elephant had escaped from the Family Fun Circus at the Garfield County Fairgrounds earlier Wednesday after something spooked it while it was being loaded into a truck with another elephant, Olson said.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Now thats a deuce in the pants if there ever was one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Now thats a deuce in the pants if there ever was one.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

How the fuck do you not notice an elephant until you're practically under it? I can understand thinking its an illusion, but damn..
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchopper87 View Post
How the fuck do you not notice an elephant until you're practically under it? I can understand thinking its an illusion, but damn..

I would have convinced myself that I did some coke and was seeing stuff and that it would be OK to keep going. Very understandable how he missed it
Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I would have convinced myself that I did some coke and was seeing stuff and that it would be OK to keep going. Very understandable how he missed it
You know coke doesn't come on little pieces of paper, right?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
AquaPython
put it THIS way

i dont think those people had any idea how much danger they were in. granted it was only 8 feet tall, and so it was likely not a mature elephant, but that fucker could have had tantrum and trampled everything moving. ever seen the elephant escape from the honolulu zoo/circus that frequently surfaces on those "ZOMG animals" shows ?