Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...
Default "Don't shoot my dog!"

http://news.yahoo.com/video/austinkv...-28985811.html

Austin 911 received a call about a domestic dispute, but the caller gave the wrong address. Cop shows up and immediately shoots the dog at the address given.

The video shows the dashboard cam of the event. The cop drew his weapon as he was approaching the house. About 5 seconds later you hear the shot. The owner had no idea what was going on and never even had a chance to protect his pet.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

sucks, hope they buy him a new dog and fire the stupid cop. Well firing may be going too far, depends on if the dog went after the cop. If he just responded to the address provided and the dog came after him, don't really see the need to fire him. He went where he was told, the fuck up is on the caller giving the wrong address. Still sucks for the owner and dog, they shouldn't of been involved.

Last edited by Trip; 04-18-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

The one thing I haven't heard about this case, was if the dog was in an enclosed back yard or if it was running free.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I'm a cop responding to a call.
Dog comes at me.
Since I do not speak dog I have no idea if dog is barking "RUB MY BUTT!!! RUB MY BUTT!! RUB MY BUTT! i LICK PEANUT BUTTER BALLS:
or if dog is barking
"Come at me brah!"

If my weapon is drawn and dog comes running, I'm shooting. Then I will politely ask for a knife and access to a freezer and a barbecue because I eat what I kill and I kill what I eat. After preparing the dog, putting most away ion the freezer and seasoning some tasty parts for the grill I'd then announce that I am a police officer responding to a call.

I'm sure they would be upset about the loss of the dog so the least I can do is to offer them dinner (after securing the scene). Once I'm off shift I'd come back and cook since it not really appropriate to cook on the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

lol
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

I sure don't envy any cop called out to a domestic disturbance. If the cop was following procedure, then it's the procedures (and probably the procedure writers) that need to be changed. But it did seem pretty early for him to draw his weapon, before he even crossed the fence line.

It also seems to be SOP these days. Raid a house, shoot the dogs. No question, no hesitation, if the house has dogs they're getting shot. I understand that the bad guys use dogs and dogs can really mess up your world. What bothers me is that it seems more and more likely that I could do nothing wrong and my dogs might still be gunned down. And if I tried to stop it, I would be "in the wrong."

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The one thing I haven't heard about this case, was if the dog was in an enclosed back yard or if it was running free.
He was in Michael's driveway.

They were in the back yard. Michael walked into the driveway to get something out of his truck. Policeman running into driveway with gun drawn tells Michael to get his hands up. Dog runs from back yard barking at officer. Officer shoots dog. Then, officer yells at Michael why he didn't get his dog.

This is a bummer of an event.

I'm curious why he was running into the driveway with the gun drawn for a domestic dispute. And, Michael didn't fit the description of the person involved in the domestic.

Seriously... bummer.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I sure don't envy any cop called out to a domestic disturbance. If the cop was following procedure, then it's the procedures (and probably the procedure writers) that need to be changed. But it did seem pretty early for him to draw his weapon, before he even crossed the fence line.

It also seems to be SOP these days. Raid a house, shoot the dogs. No question, no hesitation, if the house has dogs they're getting shot. I understand that the bad guys use dogs and dogs can really mess up your world. What bothers me is that it seems more and more likely that I could do nothing wrong and my dogs might still be gunned down. And if I tried to stop it, I would be "in the wrong."
I think that cops are generally trigger happy and will take any chance they can get to legally fire their weapons. This is probably why dogs always seem to get shot in these situations and why when theres a shootout the perp usually ends up with dozens of gun shot wounds. With a dog, theres no consequences is the cop says he felt threatened and with a shootout once they have permission to open fire, every cop in the area emptys their magazine.

Also, Im betting this is why tazings and pepper spraying is so common these days. The burden of proof as to why it was necessary is a lot lower.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'm curious why he was running into the driveway with the gun drawn for a domestic dispute.
This should be question #1.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
This should be question #1.
As I understand it, the original call to 911 said a man was fighting and choking a woman in the driveway. So yea, I'd be all Rambo up in there.